AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Budget: $300-600 or there abouts

Size requirements: None

Room Dimensions: 12x15 with 8 foot ceilings. Open to kitchen and hallway that leads upstairs.

Primary Uses: 40% gaming, 40% Movies, 20% music

Listening habits: No clue

Appearance requirements: none

Timeframe: As soon as possible, but I live in Alaska.

I have available to me locally the Klipsch RW-10d and RW-12d. Since I live in Alaska, I can't ship anything back and forth so it will be either bought locally or a one shot deal. Beyond that, I can get stuff shipped to Washington state and then freight forwarded if shipping is too great normally. The RW-10d is $349 and I am not sure on the RW-12d yet as they didn't have a price on it, but WELL below retail. I have read up on the HSU and like what they have to offer, especially the VTF-2 MK3. I am going to see what they say as far as shipping to AK.

My system so far is:

Receiver: Onkyo 606

Main L/R: RVX-54 towers

Center: RC-52

Rears: RSX-5

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wow, I sure got a lot of responses from that. I am considering the SVS PB12-NSD or the HSU VTF-2 MK3. If there are other subs I can consider, please mention them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior /forum/post/15559477

I am considering the SVS PB12-NSD or the HSU VTF-2 MK3.

Common subwoofer recommendations in your price range include those 2 that you mentioned, along with probably the SVS PC12-NSD for $549 + shipping.

The SVS PB10-NSD covers everything well, down to 19Hz, so the PB12-NSD should be in the same league with even more SPL output.

Hsu's subwoofers are known to be great music performers.

Honestly you can't go wrong with either SVS or Hsu.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for responding. I guess I really want to be able to feel the bass. I am sure either one will be fantastic. I think I am going with the HSU.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
JBjunior,

Does your $600 maximum include shipping? As you're well aware, shipping is going to be very pricey which may or may not eliminate options for you. For example, even SVS's entry level PB10-NSD (a $429 sub) will cost you over $208.00 to ship to Anchorage, AK according to their shipping calculator, which puts it above the $600 limit. However, I figure you're well aware of the extreme shipping prices you face in Alaska and it's possible you have already taken for granted that you'll need to pay a large shipping bill (in addition to the ~$600 for the sub). I hope you can get a deal somewhere. I do think that the VTF-2 MK3 would be a good choice for your room. If the cylinder shape appeals to you, I'd also look at the SVS PC12-NSD at its introductory $549 price. Both of those subs sound like they would be good options for your room. IMO, whichever you choose should just be a matter of personal preference and shipping rates.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you very much for the very informed response. Shipping was accounted for, not in the original 400-600. Shipping via Fed ex/UPS would run between $150 to $240 depending on the sub either SVS or HSU. I am using a freight forward out of Seattle, so on top of the price to get it to Seattle I have to pay $53 dollars to get it here, not too bad. I went with the HSU VTF-2 MK3 and it should ship out today or tomorrow at the latest. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Ruddle /forum/post/15639843

Go with any of these from klipsch: RW-10d or the RW-12d

Those Klipsch subwoofers will definitely pale in comparison to internet-direct brands such as SVS, Hsu and eD.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blued888 /forum/post/15640308

Those Klipsch subwoofers will definitely pale in comparison to internet-direct brands such as SVS, Hsu and eD.

Wow! Considering his budget is $300-600, and I am not asking you for your opinion on which SUB is better or as you state pales in comparison. Give the guy asking for recommendation some advice, instead spewing out brands.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
If you want bass, this is what I would get in your price range, http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-cyl-pc12_nsd.cfm

I own the PC13 Ultra, and it shakes the house. You can even feel it outside on our deck and in the driveway. I have not heard the one I recommended, but seeing and feeling the quality of its big brother, I am sure it will live up to the SVS name. And the reviews have been very good to it. And SVS support is above and beyond belief. Great guys to deal with!

Mike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the continued replies guys. I went with the HSU VTF-2 MK 3 almost two weeks ago and it should be here this wednesday. HSU shipped out very quickly and got it to the freight forwarder on time, now I am just waiting on the barge to get here. I was originally going to go with the RW-12d but for not much more money I got the HSU.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My VTF 2.3 came in and even after either fedex or the forwarder punched a huge hole in the box it arrived flawless. Got it set up last night and it is amazing. I used to do car audio and love bass and this thing really busts it out. I couldn't go all out for the 3.3 because I live in military housing and can't scare my neighbors away.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior /forum/post/15559477

Wow, I sure got a lot of responses from that. I am considering the SVS PB12-NSD or the HSU VTF-2 MK3. If there are other subs I can consider, please mention them.

lol. here is what you should do.

behringer ep2500 amp.

diycable maelstrom.

sealed enclosure you build yourself, 7 cu. ft. or so.

cost: around $600. bass: off the chart.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is great, no reason to send anything back. I have done the diy route with car audio plenty of times.

·
Registered
21,345 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBjunior /forum/post/15681543

It is great, no reason to send anything back. I have done the diy route with car audio plenty of times.

awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts