AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my infinity p363 towers and pc351 this week. I have a crappy Onkyo SKW200 that I got years ago from someone's HTIB setup. Looking for a more powerful sub to go with new speakers. Off top of my head for $200 right now it looks like these options...also have amazon prime if that saves on shipping.

polk psw505 - $185
bic f12 - $200

uses for my theater are 70% tv/movies, 30% audio (listen to rock/metal, wife likes top 100 music), not really any hard thumping rap bass. also using a pioneer vsx-820 if that matters.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I 2nd the recommendation for the Dayton Audio SUB-1500. Found at partsexpress.com

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Klipsch sub-12, no question. Frys.com often has them on sale for $199.99. They occasionally run them for $199.99 with a code that they email you. This week, for example, the sub-12 has been $199.99 with code. Just get on their mailing list and they will send you emails for all their deals, complete with codes. Sub-12 is better than any less than $200 sub I've ever owned/heard, including the Bic F12/V1220, Dayton sub-1200/1500.

Reactions: woodeka

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
So the Polk psw505 is crap?
I can't say the PSW505 is "crap", as that's one budget sub I've never had. One of the main reasons I never tried it, however, is the many negative reports I've read over the past several years of the 505 lacking detail, amps dying quickly and suffering bad port chuffing. I know it's hard to expect a sub-$200 sub to be great, but I think there are better options. I may have to get one sometime just to try it out for myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Klipsch sub-12, no question. Frys.com often has them on sale for $199.99. They occasionally run them for $199.99 with a code that they email you.
Got a Sub-12, and it's worth every penny of $200.00!

Reactions: MIX_MASTER_ICE

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the entire floor is hardwood, wouldn't a downward facing sub be an issue in terms of floor rattling noise, etc vs. a front firing? psw505 is $185 and consistently a top seller though?

·
Registered
178 Posts
the entire floor is hardwood, wouldn't a downward facing sub be an issue in terms of floor rattling noise, etc vs. a front firing? psw505 is $185 and consistently a top seller though?
I've tried a few Polk subs including the PSW125, which I think is supposed to be near the 505 in performance. They're all crap. I hated them all. I was especially disappointed in the PSW125. I am a relative newbie to all of this, but it was pretty easy for me (and my little brother who was over a lot during all of my subwoofer "tryouts") to tell the difference in quality between the subs. Also, the PSB subsonic II that I had (until it died) sounded much better than the Polk did.

I have a BIC F12 now and I love it. Night and day compared to Polks.

I've heard good things about the Daytons as well. For $200, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

I am not sure about that Klipsch, never heard it, but it sounds like people like it too.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ No.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ It doesn't matter much at all which direction the driver is placed on any sub ... front, rear, side, top or bottom. Think of a sub as a point source that radiates outward.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Sounds like the thoughts are:

Polk Psw505 - avoid
Bic F12 - meh
Klipsch 12hg - get it when it hits $200?
Based on your list:

Polk: no
Bic: no
Dayton Audio - yes
Klipsch sub 12 - only if on sale for $200

Keep an eye on that sub at Amazon, Frys.com, Newegg, Crutchfield, and other audio sites.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Based on your list:

Polk: no
Bic: no
Dayton Audio - yes
Klipsch sub 12 - only if on sale for $200

Keep an eye on that sub at Amazon, Frys.com, Newegg, Crutchfield, and other audio sites.
keep an eye on the klipsh 12hg? and you mean that would be my best choice, if all else equal (like price at $200)?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The nx-bas-500. Out performs all
Of these and only a mere 70 dollars more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FSTU4G?vs=1
Well the OP did ask for recommendations for a $200 budget. Probably have to pay tax on the NXG, as well. The NXG would cost me $281.40 ordered from AV House through Amazon. I had both the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the Klipsch sub-12 at the same time and ended up sending the NXG back. NXG has a slight edge in extension, but the sub-12 had the advantage in output and had an overall more powerful sound in my set up. The NXG also suffers from very poor auto on/off sensitivity.

With the Klipsch being on sale for $199 so often, in no way would I personally recommend the NXG over it for $80 more. The Klipsch has a 650w/300w RMS BASH amp and I'm not sure what generic amp the NXG uses, nor do they post the RMS of the amp. They advertise a 500w amp, but it's probably around 150-200w RMS. The NXG is a solid performing budget sub, but with everything factored in, I wouldn't agree that it outperforms the $199 Klipsch.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I like my budget JBL ES250 pretty decent extension and decent for music too. Never had any issues with it, like some older units have had.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts