AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my infinity p363 towers and pc351 this week. I have a crappy Onkyo SKW200 that I got years ago from someone's HTIB setup. Looking for a more powerful sub to go with new speakers. Off top of my head for $200 right now it looks like these options...also have amazon prime if that saves on shipping.

polk psw505 - $185
bic f12 - $200

uses for my theater are 70% tv/movies, 30% audio (listen to rock/metal, wife likes top 100 music), not really any hard thumping rap bass. also using a pioneer vsx-820 if that matters.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
Klipsch sub-12, no question. Frys.com often has them on sale for $199.99. They occasionally run them for $199.99 with a code that they email you. This week, for example, the sub-12 has been $199.99 with code. Just get on their mailing list and they will send you emails for all their deals, complete with codes. Sub-12 is better than any less than $200 sub I've ever owned/heard, including the Bic F12/V1220, Dayton sub-1200/1500.

Reactions: woodeka

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
So the Polk psw505 is crap?
I can't say the PSW505 is "crap", as that's one budget sub I've never had. One of the main reasons I never tried it, however, is the many negative reports I've read over the past several years of the 505 lacking detail, amps dying quickly and suffering bad port chuffing. I know it's hard to expect a sub-$200 sub to be great, but I think there are better options. I may have to get one sometime just to try it out for myself.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Klipsch sub-12, no question. Frys.com often has them on sale for $199.99. They occasionally run them for $199.99 with a code that they email you.
Got a Sub-12, and it's worth every penny of $200.00!

Reactions: MIX_MASTER_ICE

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the entire floor is hardwood, wouldn't a downward facing sub be an issue in terms of floor rattling noise, etc vs. a front firing? psw505 is $185 and consistently a top seller though?

·
Registered
178 Posts
the entire floor is hardwood, wouldn't a downward facing sub be an issue in terms of floor rattling noise, etc vs. a front firing? psw505 is $185 and consistently a top seller though?
I've tried a few Polk subs including the PSW125, which I think is supposed to be near the 505 in performance. They're all crap. I hated them all. I was especially disappointed in the PSW125. I am a relative newbie to all of this, but it was pretty easy for me (and my little brother who was over a lot during all of my subwoofer "tryouts") to tell the difference in quality between the subs. Also, the PSB subsonic II that I had (until it died) sounded much better than the Polk did.

I have a BIC F12 now and I love it. Night and day compared to Polks.

I've heard good things about the Daytons as well. For $200, I dont think you can go wrong with either.

I am not sure about that Klipsch, never heard it, but it sounds like people like it too.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ No.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ It doesn't matter much at all which direction the driver is placed on any sub ... front, rear, side, top or bottom. Think of a sub as a point source that radiates outward.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Sounds like the thoughts are:

Polk Psw505 - avoid
Bic F12 - meh
Klipsch 12hg - get it when it hits $200?
Based on your list:

Polk: no
Bic: no
Dayton Audio - yes
Klipsch sub 12 - only if on sale for $200

Keep an eye on that sub at Amazon, Frys.com, Newegg, Crutchfield, and other audio sites.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts
The nx-bas-500. Out performs all
Of these and only a mere 70 dollars more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008FSTU4G?vs=1
Well the OP did ask for recommendations for a $200 budget. Probably have to pay tax on the NXG, as well. The NXG would cost me $281.40 ordered from AV House through Amazon. I had both the NXG NX-BAS-500 and the Klipsch sub-12 at the same time and ended up sending the NXG back. NXG has a slight edge in extension, but the sub-12 had the advantage in output and had an overall more powerful sound in my set up. The NXG also suffers from very poor auto on/off sensitivity.

With the Klipsch being on sale for $199 so often, in no way would I personally recommend the NXG over it for $80 more. The Klipsch has a 650w/300w RMS BASH amp and I'm not sure what generic amp the NXG uses, nor do they post the RMS of the amp. They advertise a 500w amp, but it's probably around 150-200w RMS. The NXG is a solid performing budget sub, but with everything factored in, I wouldn't agree that it outperforms the $199 Klipsch.

·
Registered
Living Room: Sony 65” 950G, Marantz SR5014, Martin Logan Motion LX16 x5, Motion 2 x2, SVS PC2000
310 Posts
I like my budget JBL ES250 pretty decent extension and decent for music too. Never had any issues with it, like some older units have had.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.