AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
doin some searching as we speak, but thought it best to post (sorry for bein newbish).

speakers will be running athena as-f2, as-c1, and rears are the s.5's if i remember correctly. amp will probably be a basic onkyo 5.1 channel (unless theres better for 150-200 ish).

anyways, i need a decent sub, need it to be silver though. probably 60% movies, 40% music.

price range is about 200.

thanks

--soheil

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
If you max budget is fixed at $200 then I would suggest looking around for a used sub. Silver is going to be tough... most subs are either black or covered in wood veneer (or did you mean an aluminum cone on the driver?). If possible I'd save up another $100 or so and look at a Part's Express kit sub. At your price point I would spend $500 or so on a commercial sub (to keep up with the quality of the rest of your speakers).

Pioneer sells an all-in-one system (available at Costco and other places) and the included sub isn't that bad. I don't know if you can purchase it separately but it is silver in color.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Have you checked the Dayton 12" at PartsExpress for $140? I just ordered one and seems to have a good "budget sub" reputation. I'll post my initial reactions next week. Of course, you would need to add a can of silver spray paint to your equation, but it would still be under your budget!;)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I was with you until you said: "need it to be silver".

HTIB subs are silver, but not many separate sale subs are silver. If you pay big bucks, you can get subs in custom colors & veneers (eg, Triad).

It is over twice your budget, but you can get the SVS PB10-isd in silver. I think the Energy subs are available in silver, but they are also over your budget. The Athena subs have *some* silver on them - they are intended to match your other Athena speakers. The Athena AS-P4000 is not my favorite sub, but if you buy it off eBay they can be had for a bit over $200.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
That Velo at Crutchfield is out of stock...

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_jcv
That Velo at Crutchfield is out of stock...
But it IS silver:D

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Logitech. I own one (Z-2200). It cost me $135 (with the 2 sats too). It's quite awesome for it's cheap price. Buying it directly from the manufacturer cost more than elsewhere, so try Yahoo! shopping.

Specs:
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=9372

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the late response guys, was away for a wedding...

yes, the silver issue has ended up being quite the annoyance, but because of its location and wife factor (not my wife, wife of the family friend i am helping), silver is the desired color.

i have been looking at the velodyne, so we shall see.

any ideas on the psw10?
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-7zHPDop...00&I=107PSW10B

and how exactly would i hook up a logitech sub for a computer (to the best of my understanding that is) to my reciever?

thanks again

--soheil

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The PSW10 appears to be black (with a Cherry option) if I'm reading that sheet correctly.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soheilm3
and how exactly would i hook up a logitech sub for a computer (to the best of my understanding that is) to my reciever?

thanks again

--soheil
Use the sub's RCA inputs, just as with any other sub. You'd use the crossover of the a/v receiver.

The sats wouldn't be hooked up to the output of the sub. I've tried it on my Yamaha receiver. Quite impressive in my 2200 cu.ft. HT room, for it's size.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma
The PSW10 appears to be black (with a Cherry option) if I'm reading that sheet correctly.
ah your right, the silver front facsia through me off, ugh i guess its the velodyne or back to an htib i go...

--soheil

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
If your friend can't figure out how to talk his wife into another color sub, he deserves an htib...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.