AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering which sub to get for a new setup in my 20x13 living room, about 3000 cubic feet. I plan to use five P362's as the front, center and surrounds in a 5.1 home theater.

I've been considering the BIC Acoustech H-100 (PA-120) Subwoofer, but was wondering what you thought about using two smaller 8" subs, like the Energy ESW-8. I wanted to spend no more than $350 on the sub.

What are the pro's and con's of a smaller dual sub setup?

Has anyone tried this especially with P362's before? Or similar?

Thanks! Merry New Year!!!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
For $350, the best you can get would be the eD A2-300. 3000 cubic feet is a pretty big space to fill.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Since you'll be using all towers, your mid bass will be covered down to 50hz. Look for a sub capable of playback down to 20hz or so and cross low in your AVR, try 60hz first, then work downwards to find the best blend. You do have a large space so at some point, 2 subs or more will be needed but usually small driver subs don't go that low and the ones that do are at a cost. Ported subs with larger drivers are the most cost efficient option. One of the Elemental Designs would be a cost effective start, two would be better.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slightly more accurate measurements and verified math:

2,340 cubic feet

Thanks for the frequency and crossover tips...I need to be reminded of the basics. It's so easy to get sidetracked in this process.

IT'S ABOUT THE BASS

I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem13 /forum/post/15430336

Since you'll be using all towers, your mid bass will be covered down to 50hz. Look for a sub capable of playback down to 20hz or so and cross low in your AVR, try 60hz first, then work downwards to find the best blend. You do have a large space so at some point, 2 subs or more will be needed but usually small driver subs don't go that low and the ones that do are at a cost. Ported subs with larger drivers are the most cost efficient option. One of the Elemental Designs would be a cost effective start, two would be better.

Is there a rule of thumb to indicate the relationship between cubic footage of a room and wattage of subwoofer, or maybe driver size?

Off to get my first SPL meter...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the Elemental Designs A2-300.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope it will...However, Elemental Designs builds to order, and I just ordered it last night. The lead time for the Subwoofer from ED is about 30 days, so I have some time to wait still.

I got an email this morning saying the cabinet is "Awaiting Woodshop" which makes me feel like it is just before 4th period in my sophomore year again.

Anyway, I can't wait. This home theater is my first and is the culmination of 4 years of research, saving, re-researching, more saving and finally negotiations with the wife to reorganize the living room.

Good times! I am sad that it is almost over...

OR IS IT?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.