AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Room is 9300 cubic feet. The living room, dining room, kitchen and entry way are all open with 14' ceilings. Behind the listening posiiton is the dining area with windows. Current system is a Yamaha RX-V575, Klipsch KB-15 bookshelf speakers, Klipsch KC-25 Center and a Klipsch SW-350 8" sub. I'm looking to upgrade all. I was looking at the Denon x4100 or Marantz sr7008 but a forum member steered me towards the Denon 4520 from accessories4less and I think I might go that route. I'm looking at either Def Tech SM65, NHT Classic 3, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 or Paradigm Audio Studio 20 v5 for LCR. I purchased an SVS PB 2000 last year and returned it because my little 8" Klipsch blew it away! I even verified setup and troubleshooting with SVS tech. I can't explain why the SVS was so horrible but I'm willing to try again. I'm looking at purchasing a new sub or subs. The PB13-Ultra is $2000 so that will be my price limit. I am open to all brands. I was leaning towards 2 XV15Se from PSA at first. Any help would be appreciated in helping to narrow down the best sub (s) for my space and soon to be equipment. Thanks.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I don't think you need a monster Danley sub. Perhaps to pressurize the entire area, but to just get good bass at your listening position, I think a couple good subs and some clever placement will do the trick. The subs I would be looking at in a $2k budget are dual Hsu VTF15h mk2s or dual Reaction Echo 15 subs. Rythmik is coming out with a powerful ported 15" sub sometime in the near future called the FVX15 which will supposedly be around $1k as well, I would look into that. Placement will be critical into getting a good bass sound at your listening position in your room. You might look into near-field placement where the sub is placed very close to the listening position, such as an endtable type placement or right behind your seating.

·
Registered
11,711 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe the Danley is only $1000, and would play louder and with less distortion.
The only downside is: it is big, heavy and ugly.
It's real purpose is for filling large cinema rooms with bass, typically hidden behind the projector screen wall.

Another alternative: For a budget of $1750, you'd be better off going DIY... (if that's an option.)
It offers better value and performance, even after factoring in the buying expense of an entry level table saw and router, you could beat dual VTF15's with ease for a lot less.
If you don't have an area to setup a woodshop, then you'll be stuck using retail subs and paying for the CEOs golf sessions.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I agree with shadyj that placement is critical. There needs to be lots of research done on placement to make sure you are getting the best out of your sub. Near-field placed subs will really give you tactile bass.

In SVSs defense, placement could have been the issues when comparing the two subs. However, faults do happen.

Duals would really be the route to go. Patience and auditioning is key. My vote goes to the HSU VTF15h MK2 subs. I think the Reaction line of subs are brand new, so I'm waiting on some more reviews, but Reaction makes some great subs.

If you're just looking for something to power your HT, then the Denon 4520 has my vote. If you are looking for more connectivity and features, then the X4100 has my vote.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts
I could be wrong but I believe the Danley is only $1000, and would play louder and with less distortion.
I believe that the kit version, which is no longer available, was something like 1000. The assembled version is a lot more expensive, although I don't recall the price at the moment, and that doesn't include the amplifier which you have to buy separately. Low distortion wasn't a strong suit of the DTS-10, its strength was deep bass output. I think, depending on what amplifier is used with the DTS-10, dual Hsu or Reaction subs should be able to equal it at all frequencies except its tuning point.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The SW-350 is down firing and rear ported. Would that be why the SVS seemed so weak to me, being a front firing/front ported? Also, the SW-350 kind of resonates in the walls (it's in a corner), giving off the impression of bass, but only when I get up to -10db does it really allow me to feel it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
if the SW-350 was placed in the corner and the SVS sub was placed along the wall or another place, then that would be the room playing a huge role on how the subs "performs".

Lower signal level usually allows the sub a few extra Hz of extension. Maybe that's what you're feeling?

It doesn't matter the direction of the port or driver. However, bass will be affected if you have a rear ported sub placed tightly in a corner.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,277 Posts
My suggestion is a bit different. Instead of spending tons of money on a new AVR and speakers for maybe a couple of dB's of extra output, stick with your current AVR and go with MTM-110's from PSA. The much higher sensitivity will give you huge bang for the buck and a huge increase in output and clean dynamic capability even with your current AVR.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/speakers/products/mt-110

For subs, given your huge volume, I would go with a single RA Echo 18. Two would be a bit over your $2k sub budget, but adding another down the road, or fitting it into your budget, would have the best chance of meeting and exceeding your output requirements in such a large room.

http://reaction-audio.myshopify.com/products/echo-18?variant=1107637857

Anyway, the above two options would, in my opinion, be the best option to attempt to fill your large space with sound.

Reactions: Alan P

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Can you post a sketch of that room?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I second the reaction audio ECHO-18 as well. One now and one later would satisfy your needs no doubt, and for the price.. they can't be beat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts