AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a sub to replace my Revel B-15. I will need something to Eq it with as it doesn't have the 3 band equalizer that the Revel came with. I have 2 big peaks and 1 minor one (in my HT) that I would like to tame so I would need something that could cover at least 3 peaks, if not more.

Any suggestions as to the best product to use for this. I don't mind spending more for a better prodcut. I am looking for very good performance and while I love a good deal, I don't want to sacrafice performance to save a buck.

I have heard many use the BFD, what are some of the other more popular units to use to Eq my new sub???

Thanks,

Jack

·
Registered
167 Posts
Jack,

There is also the Rane PE-17 , a popular analog 5-band parametric equalizer that can be used for subs (10-200Hz configuration). It may require more trial-and-error adjusting than the BFD, but can be very effective.

BTW, what sub are you replacing the B-15 with?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, after a long and exhaustive search I finally decided on the latest design from Tom Danley. The creator of the infamous Contra bass. It is called the PB-12 and is capable of over 120bd at 20hz, it should be quite amazing. I plan on posting a full review on it once I have received it and tested it out.

Jack

·
Registered
27,195 Posts
Congrats!! Welcome to the little traveled path to reference bass. Wait until you get this installed and EQ'd. You'll know what few here are lucky enough to experience: powerhouse, almost limitless low end plumbing the deepest depths.

PS....Hire a top notch installer to integrate into your system. FWIW, I am using a single QSC DSP-30 EQ for both of my B_DEAPS. For $500, it is an excellent, flexible piece programmed via your lap top.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
Jack,

Congrats on the monster purchase. I look forward to every detail! :cool:

I've never been a fan of Behringer. As a pro musician for many years, Behringer products were always known on the pro side for exactly what they are...the bottom rung.

OTOH, I've always been a fan of an analog solution and Rane's people, products and prices. Rane has always had an excellent grasp of filters of all types and the PE17 is a great piece of equipment.

Without getting into the BFD vs PE17 debate too deeply, simply look at the published dynamic range of both pieces (as the EQ link in the signal chain is likely to clip before any other), and you'll see the DR of the PE17 is 120 dB and the DR of the BFD is 107 dB. A huge difference.

I also think that the Rane is much more user-friendly when coupled with the proper FR graphing tools.

Just my opinion. Maybe Edward (who owns a PE-17 and is very adept at using one) will catch this and chime in.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
I used an Ashly SC-66 (about 30years old) and was a snap to use.It was a very powerful EQ back then and it worked quite well, it is an analog unit.I now use a BFD. If you cross T's and dot I's you will love this unit.Digital can drive you nutz but once you get a handle on it it is a very specific piece.

There are 12banks per channel or twenty-four banks in series.Once you get that new sub in your room you may need the extra banks,who knows.

Are they ready to ship those PB-12's Good luck.

KG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.