AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went through most of the sticky on sub calibration i think i may have adsorbed about 10% of that great sticky though..
So I have 3 active subs. They all three occupy a corner in a 22x16 room (roughly) klipsch r115, A down firing cerwin Vega 15 (just cant let this one go for some reason) and a thx certified 10 sealed cant rem the name but has always been a decent performer for filling the room

So I am trying to get a starting point. Do I set them all at roughly the 2 o'clock position then run room correction then adjust them up with the built in amplifier? Room correction sets them at 120hz and usually in the negative on level. Both 15's have a built in crossover good guess in what HZ to start at?

I had to get a new receiver (Onkyo rz1100) so I am having to start over with all of my settings.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
I just went through most of the sticky on sub calibration i think i may have adsorbed about 10% of that great sticky though..
So I have 3 active subs. They all three occupy a corner in a 22x16 room (roughly) klipsch r115, A down firing cerwin Vega 15 (just cant let this one go for some reason) and a thx certified 10 sealed cant rem the name but has always been a decent performer for filling the room

So I am trying to get a starting point. Do I set them all at roughly the 2 o'clock position then run room correction then adjust them up with the built in amplifier? Room correction sets them at 120hz and usually in the negative on level. Both 15's have a built in crossover good guess in what HZ to start at?

I had to get a new receiver (Onkyo rz1100) so I am having to start over with all of my settings.

Start around 12 o'clock on the subs, then set your subs at 80Hz.
LFE will be 120Hz, done within the AVR, leave-it at that.

Good starting point to start your calibration:)
If after running your calibration, you have some concern about the results, ask in the guide as you will get more answers.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2958528-guide-subwoofer-calibration-bass-preferences.html

Ray

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
thank you

More than Welcome:)

By posting on the guide, more than likely Mike (mthomas47), who wrote the Guide, will reply:)
After all, when it come to sub/s setting, he is a Yoda, and my self only an apprentice.

One more word of advise, take your time doing this procedure and have fun doing-it.
Once done, you will never second guess your-self, not like if rushing through the process.
And do not be afraid to ask question, even when there is some instructions that may confusing to you:)

In my line of work, there is no stupid question, it is a matter of Life or Death, you do not know, what you do not know, or is unclear.
See you back in the Guide, if you require the need for-it:)

Ray

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
With such differing subs, you really need to get them all playing at roughly the same SPL before running the room cal software. Just setting the gain dials to the same "o'clock" ain't gonna cut it. Do you have an SPL meter, or does your AVR have a Sub Leveling screen before calibration??

Placing all of your subs in the same corner is far from ideal as well.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
when I used 3 different subs, it really helps to have them all adjusted at same level before using room correction. my sub gains were all very different. once calibration was done, I tweaked the gains on subs a bit but not very much.

Reactions: mthomas47

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
With such differing subs, you really need to get them all playing at roughly the same SPL before running the room cal software. Just setting the gain dials to the same "o'clock" ain't gonna cut it. Do you have an SPL meter, or does your AVR have a Sub Leveling screen before calibration??

Placing all of your subs in the same corner is far from ideal as well.
I do not have an spl meter and my onkyo 1100 just ask can you hear the subs before it starts calibration so probably a no on the sub leveling

each sub occupies its own corner

Cerwin _______________no name

TV

________________________Kiplish

when I used 3 different subs, it really helps to have them all adjusted at same level before using room correction. my sub gains were all very different. once calibration was done, I tweaked the gains on subs a bit but not very much.

Yea i just 12 oclocked and ran RC the bass level are much lower and the receiver set sub one at -9.5 and sub two at -5
It seemed to come out better when i set the subs at 10 o clock then run RC then adjust the gain on the subs to 2 o clock.... I need to do some testing

·
AVS ***** Member
8,896 Posts

Hi,

You have already gotten good advice from Ray, Alan, and Torii! If I were in your position, I would just start with the two 15" ported subs, and I would try to level-match them. You could buy an SPL meter to help you do that. (If you had to, you could try doing this by ear--playing some steady bass-heavy content.) Once I had them playing at the same volume, I would run my automated calibration. Then, I would add some bass boost, if necessary, and just listen for a while.

After establishing a good listening baseline--maybe a couple of days, I might (or might not) add in the little 10" sealed sub to see what if anything it does. This one, I would probably put directly behind the main listening position, and I would just try to balance the volume on that one by ear. My guess is that the little sealed sub isn't doing much for the low-frequencies, but very close to your listening position, it could conceivably add just a little bit of mid-bass to your sound.

Regards,
Mike

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
You could use an SPL app on your smartphone in a pinch. While you won't get accurate SPL readings as far as the actual levels, it would work just fine to get the relative levels the same from each sub.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could use an SPL app on your smartphone in a pinch. While you won't get accurate SPL readings as far as the actual levels, it would work just fine to get the relative levels the same from each sub.

I actually considered that but i thought that a DB level wouldn't be the same as spl. but i guess it would give me some idea on a level at the main seating area

·
Registered
12,801 Posts
SPL = Sound Pressure Level

dB = Decibels

Sound Pressure Level is measured in dB. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

dB = Decibels

I started to google db and spl when i made that post lol... honestly i guess i always thought of db as being loudness and spl being the pressure i could feel not what i could hear.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
I started to google db and spl when i made that post lol... honestly i guess i always thought of db as being loudness and spl being the pressure i could feel not what i could hear.

No harm done, as I did post previously, you do not know, what you do not know.
The word of Audio can be sometime confusing for someone new to-it, but you are doing the right steps by coming here and learn about-it:)

dB = Decibels

Your post show, that sometime, the simple explanation do work the best:)

Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts