AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm about to receiver my sub, the SVS PCi20-39 tomorrow and need some setup tips. I'm using the Denon 2805 receiver with auto-EQ and currently don't have a SPL meter. I did a couple search for it and found the basic setups: set all other speakers to small, crossover to 80, compression off, and digital downmix off, etc.

What I'm not sure about is the setting on the onboard amp of the PCi20-39. I'm pretty sure I gotta turn off the crossover on it and uses the 2805's crossover. What should I do about the Phase and the Volume setting on the sub itself? I don't have a SPL meter yet, and I know I'll get one in the near future. The Auto-EQ is better than nothing right? What Volume and Phase setting should I have it on when using the Auto-EQ on the 2805?

This might sound kinda stupid, but is it safe to plug the sub into the outlet first and then connect RCA cable to the receivers Preout? Can someone give me a step by step instructions to setting up the SVS with a Denon 2805? Thanks for helping.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, turn the x-over off on the sub and set the phase at zero and the gain at about 1/3. You can plug the sub into the AC outlet, but leave everything off and plug the RCA cable in to each end (sub and receiver). You probably wouldn't hurt anything by plugging the sub cable in with the power on, but I'm sure you'd get a loud THUMP (speaking from experience) but it's safer with everything off.

Use the receiver's auto eq and you'll be fine. Unless you have a golden ear, I seriously doubt you'll need anything more than the auto EQ.

The only thing I had to do with my set up (3805 and 20-39PC+) after the auto EQ was turn the sub up on the receiver. It was set too low and it wasn't turning the sub on every time. I manually turned the sub up about 3db on the receiver (and turned the gain down on the sub) and it works perfect.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
The sub will come with directions. Read them, it's a tiny booklet.

If you feel bothered to do it, sit down in your chair, turn on the sub test tone, and have somebody move the phase dial until the sub sounds loudest (without actually increasing the volume.) Leave the phase switch there and then set the level.

And if you don't like the level when your auto-set program is done, feel free to change it to something that you like!

·
Registered
879 Posts
I would consider corner loading the sub as it will enhance bottom end and make it less directional .

Also read specs on dynamic range of front speakers and set the crossover overlapping bottom end of range by 10% example if speakers are rated at 30Hz - 20K then set crossover at 40Hz .

Some people use LFE output on reciever ( prefered for one sub use ) I prefer preouts as I use 4 subs one for every channel ( fronts, center, sides and rears ).

Getting basss right -

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homea...nf-rooms_3.pdf

·
Registered
7,656 Posts
Corner loading will excite all of the modes equally. That is not always necessarily desirable. Depends on your situation.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.