AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Without investing more money into an EQ (I'm still getting flak on the dual Empire purchase), what would be the easiest way to assist in equalizing the sound for our listening environment? I use Audyssey that is built into the Onkyo 905 currently but for the life of me it I can't figure out why it's doing -15db to the sub after a calibration. It sounds very very subdued at this setting. (Both subs are at 11 o'clock) Should I by pass the Audyssey and run some REW's and equalize the sound myself with the the equalizer of the Onkyo? Problem with the Onkyo equalizer is it's only 7 points with 25, 40, 63, 100 and 160hz. Or is there a helluva lot more going on with Audyssey than that that I am not aware of?

I almost always exclusively use the THX ULTRA2 mode for watching movies. Do you know if Audyssey is bypassed in this mode in lieu of THX processing or does THX just post process Audyssey?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
1. Read the Audyssey Setup Guide linked in my signature.

2. After reading that, post any questions you might have in the Audyssey thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=795421

Quick answer: you need to reduce the volume level on the subs even more (maybe 9 or 10 o'clock). -15 dB is the bottom of the trim level for bass. Once you have things setup properly, you need to listen for awhile to what "reference" bass sounds like, than you can make adjustments.

Using the 7-band Onkyo eq is a waste of time. You will get no where near the results that a properly setup Audyssey calibration will give you. Yes, there is a lot going on in Audyssey.

No, THX does not bypass Audyssey processing.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just what I needed ... thank you tons!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.