Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
best sub to use with def tech.

Looking for input on sub or subs for my to large room.34x24 with 13' plate line,vaulted ceiling to 18'.Speakers are bp2000tl, clr3000.bpvx for rears.chiro c-802 with c-500 amp.I have the c-300 doing nothing, waiting patiently. There is a 10' opening on the side wall, and a 8' opening on the back wall . the room has wood floors and is on a raised foundation.The def techs sound awesome as it is , just looking for that real slam on movies.Size is not a problem as this room needs some things in it anyway.Thanks for any help .

·
Registered
321 Posts
While the BP-2000's can pump out a lot of bass within their range, they definitely benefit from the addition of a dedicated separate subwoofer for impact in the lowest octaves. A couple of ideas: SVS has a new enhanced line of subs sold in pairs that reportedly go deep and play loud and are economical compared to the competition. Their original line has, shall we say, a "dedicated" following in the HT community, due to excellent performance at reasonable prices. Their later models sound like they would be a great match for your situation.

That said, when I realized I needed more bass "slam" with my BP-2000s, I went with a Velodyne FSR-18, which has been succeeded by the nearly identically performing HGS-18. This awesome bass beast authoritatively pumps out deep, clean bass that you can both feel and hear -- about as loudly as any rational human can stand. :>) The HGS model has a piano black finish as standard; it was optional at extra cost on the FSR. The HGS has the same built in 1250 watt Class D amplifier and same performance specs as the FSR model. (And costs a bit more.)

Although my listening room is somewhat smaller than yours, it opens into a couple of other rooms which increases its effective area to about the same size. I have my sub set at about "3" on a scale of "10" to match its output to the rest of my system at 75db reference with Avia, so it has a LOT of reserve. It has enough adjustments (including some controllable by a provided remote) to fit into virtually any system or listening space. I have been very pleased with its performance and recommend either the FSR-18 or the HGS-18 as perhaps "the only sub you will ever need". (That's what my dealer said when he sold me mine, and I couldn't agree more.) :>)

Good luck and enjoy!

Burke

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just added a Mirage BPS-400 to my system. It is huge (fiance rolled her eyes when she saw it). It uses 2 12" drivers (bi-polar) and a 400 RMS watt amp (1600 w peak). It goes down to 16hz. I was using 2 klipsch 12" 200 watt subs. The difference is insane. I usually would recommend staying with the same brand as your speakers...but mention this sub due to the fact Tweeter Etc stores have them discounted from $1299 to $799 (picked mine up in Birmingham AL last week)...what a bargain if you can get past the sheer size of it. I have mine placed on a side wall and the level at about 4/10. Enough to shake to couch from 6' away, yet doesnt sound "boomy" at all. I can't imagine this thing in a corner........

·
Registered
48 Posts
Out of curiosity, how do you guys set bass management with full-range fronts and your subwoofer? What processors or receivers are you using? Do you bi-wire or bi-amp? I'm thinking about adding a sub and it might be helpful to get various opinions. I currently have NHT 2.9s for fronts running as full range with no sub. I once bi-amped the woofers using the dual LFE outputs on my processor, but didn't like them for music. With movies, I couldn't tell much of a difference. I've never thought I actually "needed" a sub, but reading what you're saying here makes me wonder...

·
Registered
366 Posts
BC1--

I have all my speakers set to play full range. Center included. None of my speakers has trouble being set like this. They are all crossed over at about 40hz. My Mirage sub i have crossed at about 60 I think. I just got it last week, put it in last night and had about 4 hours with it before I hit the road again, so I am sure I will be tweaking it. As far as bi-amping your speakers. I am not familiar with NHT, but would guess your bass drivers extend beyond the frequency range of a sub (higher not lower), and by putting the LFE to them....you were probably losing some mid-bass.... I use a B&K ref 30 w/ 2 acurus a250x2's, 1 acurus a200x3, 1 denon poa2800 (200x2). The denon is just powering 2 15" subs built into my seating deck for vibration. I used to bi-amp my fronts and center...but have gone to just bi-wire all around with good old fashioned monster cable. Bi-amping was great...but I was accumulating too much gear. Decided to tone it down a little. Most of the subs in the price range of the Mirage, Velodyne or even the big Definitives are great. . Go listen to them and let your ears decide. You definately will never regret buying a decent sub.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good info, thanks. I have an AVP 4030, which is a precursor of the ref 30. I felt there was a hole in the FR when listening to music so you're probably right. The crossover in my B&K is set to 80 hz and isn't adjustable; I think yours can be adjusted, right? I probably could set the fronts to full range, bi-amp the woofers to the sub outs, and still be alright with the lower mid-range drivers in the NHT 4-ways. I'll check with the factory on the cross-over frequencies. I need to do this with LFE set "on" in bass management, I think I only tried it with "small" front and "bass normal" settings. But I still won't be able to reposition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Good info, thanks. I have an AVP 4030, which is a precursor of the ref 30. I felt there was a hole in the FR when listening to music so you're probably right. The crossover in my B&K is set to 80 hz and isn't adjustable; I think yours can be adjusted, right? I probably could set the fronts to full range, bi-amp the woofers to the sub outs, and still be alright with the lower mid-range drivers in the NHT 4-ways. I'll check with the factory on the cross-over frequencies. I need to do this with LFE set "on" in bass management, I think I only tried it with "small" front and "bass normal" settings. But I still won't be able to reposition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.