AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a RCA 12" 250 watt sub that I bought from radio shack about 5 years ago. My question is, would it be worth swapping in a different driver like an Inifnity Kappa perfect 10, or will I need to replace the amp as well to hear any difference?

In my other room, I have a HSU HRSW10V, that works well for music, but for some reason doesn't work well with movies in my other room. I have tried placing it everywhere in the room, and it just doesn't sound very good. The RCA is much worse. The room is very soft and the bass is very muddy. If anyone has any recommendations, I would sure appreciate it. The main speakers I am using are Infinity Column II's in this room, they make tons of bass and sound great for music, like having a separate sub. I am very happy with them.

Is there a way I can run a separare amp to the 2 bottom drivers and use them both as a sub? The speakers sound great without these drivers hooked up, just like a normal set of speakers without a sub. I think it makes sense to do this, because it would be like having 2 powered subs without investing too much, and that way I can control the bass as needed with the amp for both music and home theater. As the bass tends to get really loud on some tracks and overshadows the music.

I am hoping someone here who have the Infinity Column II's can comment, as I can guarantee they make more clean bass than any floor standing speaker I have ever heard. Its unreal, sounds like the bass drum is in the room.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The drivers need to match the enclosure. You could measure the volume of the enclosure, and try to use a speaker design program like winISD or UniBox to find a driver that would work. Sticking a car sub in a random box may not get you where you want to go.

I would get a Radio Shack SPL meter and some test tones and try to plot what is going on in your room with your current subs. You didn't say what size amp you are using to drive the Hsu, or how large the room is - both will affect the results.

I'm not familar with the Infinity Column II, but from the pictures it looks like they were not made to be bi-amped. There is only one set of speaker terminals on the back. Trying to separately amp the bass drivers would involve opening them up and messing with the existing crossovers - and you run the risk of ruining a nice set of speakers - I wouldn't try it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.