AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

I am new here and trying to get this setup and would appreciate your suggestions for a Sub.
The room size is 14 ft x 16 ft with 2 windows. I just need a basic setup for HT. Thank you!

Emotive Airmotiv T2
Emotive Airmotive C2
Sub ?

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Here's a list compiled by a forum member:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2992036-surround-system-advice.html#post56531700

The 10" Monoprice Monolith is out of stock, with an estimated availability of 9/9/2018.

The Hsu Research VTF-2 Mk5 is a popular choice. (I have a couple of VTF-1s, one a Mk2, the other a Mk3. They do quite well, considering that they are Hsu's smallest.) One nice thing about Hsu VTF subs is that they are configurable: sealed, one port, or 2 ports. The bad thing is that Hsu doesn't pay return shipping if you decide that you don't want it. (hard to imagine not wanting one, though.)

Neither of these is out of line if you're prepared to spend $1k+ on the fronts.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Thank you! Budget is up 1.5-2K for the whole set up.
What does "whole set up" entail, specifically? The right, left, center, and a sub, or more than that? Electronics and surrounds as well? Something more or less?

The more details you provide on your requirements the better.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Hello:

I am new here and trying to get this setup and would appreciate your suggestions for a Sub.
The room size is 14 ft x 16 ft with 2 windows. I just need a basic setup for HT. Thank you!

Emotive Airmotiv T2
Emotive Airmotive C2
Sub ?
I just bought the T2 & C2
You will be very very happy. IMO....best value out there in T2 towers. They are simply amazing.

Now Subs---You can get away with HSU VTF2 MK5 (duals), depending on SIZE of your room. If your room is 2000-3000 cubic ft that will be find.
OR

You can do this once and be done...I JUST BOUGHT THESE WAITING FOR DELIVERY
SVS PB 13 - the shiny ones just sold out....they are $1400. A very knowledgeable sub guy HIGHLY recommended these subs.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pb13-ultra-outlet-black-oak

Sub & Center very important if you do mostly HT and not much music. I'm told these SVS subs are going to make my HSU's look/sound/feel like toddlers

You want good budget, do HSU ....but you getting top of the line Emotiva...why wouldnt you get top of line Subs?

·
Registered
12,738 Posts
As @jjackkrash said we need to know what your budget includes.

Rythmik makes some great subs. May be over your budget, but check out the L12 or LV12R for under $550 shipped.

Whatever you get, I would not skimp on the sub; it is likely to be with you longer, and is "the" piece that takes the load off the other speakers (and AVR) in the system so they can shine.

HTH - Don

Reactions: philly777

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
You will be very very happy. IMO....best value out there in T2 towers. They are simply amazing.

Now Subs---You can get away with HSU VTF2 MK5 (duals), depending on SIZE of your room. If your room is 2000-3000 cubic ft that will be find.
OR

SVS PB 13 - the shiny ones just sold out....they are $1400. A very knowledgeable sub guy HIGHLY recommended these subs.

https://www.svsound.com/collections/outlet-specials/products/pb13-ultra-outlet-black-oak

Sub & Center very important if you do mostly HT and not much music. I'm told these SVS subs are going to make my HSU's look/sound/feel like toddlers

You want good budget, do HSU ....but you getting top of the line Emotiva...why wouldnt you get top of line Subs?
i knew;) you were going to really like emotiva.. i just pictured it being the b1's.. i am thinking we might get lucky and get a 6" version ,, maybe double mid....:) i hope they are "listening"

Reactions: audiofreak38

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

OR

Thank you very much for great advice! :)

·
Registered
17,768 Posts

I'm told these SVS subs are going to make my HSU's look/sound/feel like toddlers
Huh, please make a new thread when you get these in, I'd be curious to hear how much of a difference you hear.

Of course, those PB13s are over double the price of your VTF-2s, so if they didn't sound at least 25% better I'd be hopping mad!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Huh, please make a new thread when you get these in, I'd be curious to hear how much of a difference you hear.

Of course, those PB13s are over double the price of your VTF-2s, so if they didn't sound at least 25% better I'd be hopping mad!

Between HSU VTF2 MK5 and Monolith by Monoprice 10" which one would be the better option? I am happy to go with the PB13 but it's a bit pricey.

·
Registered
17,768 Posts
Between HSU VTF2 MK5 and Monolith by Monoprice 10" which one would be the better option? I am happy to go with the PB13 but it's a bit pricey.
I'd ask in the subwoofer forum for the VTF-2 vs M10 matchup, it's been brought up often. I think the consensus was leaning towards VTF-2.

Clear step up would be the VTF-3.

If I had in the neighborhood of $1400 to blow on an HT sub, instead of the PB13 this is the monster I'd get instead:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1811

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
The VTF2.5 is a much more powerful sub at all frequencies. It's closer to the Monolith 12 in performance than it is to the Monolith 10.

So if your looking for the most output for the money the HSU is it at under the $800 mark unless there are $800 subs on sale.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd ask in the subwoofer forum for the VTF-2 vs M10 matchup, it's been brought up often. I think the consensus was leaning towards VTF-2.

Clear step up would be the VTF-3.

If I had in the neighborhood of $1400 to blow on an HT sub, instead of the PB13 this is the monster I'd get instead:
https://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/V1811

Thank you so much for the advice!

·
Registered
21,603 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice!
My room is a bit larger than yours and I use a single sub near the front three.

Sure, it's a large 1250 watt 15" sealed servo sub, (equivalent to a 600 watt ported 15" sub), BUT for me it is way overkill as it just loafs at 10 out of 100 gain on the sub itself, and -9 db on the AVR sub volume menu. It is a wonderful sub, don't get me wrong, but the smaller 12" or even 10" version might have sufficed.

I would have to believe the 12" HSU VTF2 with its numerous EQ choices would work just fine in your smaller room but if "worried" it isn't enough the 15" VTF3 most assuredly would be.

It is always easier to add a second smaller sub than to "overpay" for a larger more visually intrusive subwoofer IMHO.

I know that's heresy here on AVS where "you can never have too much cowbell........I mean sub impact" but that's my personal experience.

I bought my first 400watt 15" sealed servo sub in the late 80s for $3600 in today's dollars so likely have more true subwoofer experience in terms of years than most on AVS and, to me, more isn't always better.

I know, I can hear "release the hounds" already! :p

·
Registered
60 Posts

Great, now I'm wondering about this instead of my VTF-15h Mk2....haha....damn you @mpk1970!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
For $800-900 shipped, HSU's entry level 15" sub is tough to beat. Once you crack the $1k mark, that's when I'd look at an FV15HP (Rythmik) or the 15" Monoprice. In any event, if you have the budget and space, get at least one 15" (or bigger) ported sub and don't mess around with 12" subs.

·
Registered
968 Posts
When I was looking a few weeks ago for a sub for $1000 or less, I settled on a b stock PSA V1500. I imagine that all of the subs mentioned in this thread are great, but PSA quickly became my choice as I chatted with Tom at PSA. Tom provides some of the best customer service I have encountered in any industry and his subs are all made in the USA which was a bonus. I have had the sub for a couple of weeks and it is nothing short of amazing. Before you make a decision, I encourage you to hop on the PSA site (www.powersoundaudio.com) and chat with Tom for a bit.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts