AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help/suggestions with a powered subwoofer purchase. I have an enormous room cubic feet wise because of the height of the ceilings and a very open design to the kitchen, breakfast nook and dinning room (not to mention a hallway). I know I don’t have the budget for the properly sized sub for this room but I am going to have accept that for right now. The sub will be used 50/50 for 2 channel and HT. Kicks to the chest are not the most important thing to me, as I would much rather have good accurate performance. I know the tradeoff will likely be with less SPL’s but I am willing to make this trade off for less boominess and muddiness and more accuracy. The main speaker’s are PSB Silveri’s.

My budget is maxed out at $800. I am willing to get used. Unfortunately at home testing is going to be extremely difficult because of the lack of local sellers. I will have to travel and/or mail order for most purchases. I know about SVS and HSU, but I would like some other suggestions on what to look into. Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Take a look at the Velodyne DLS 5000R. 15'' driver 600 watts and a built in EQ for around $600.00+ shipping. I don't think you will see much of a trade off or anything much better in that price range. It has received very good reviews by members of this forum and a professional review is forth coming. See link below.

Ian

http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/dlseddldldl.html

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
For a giant room and a limited budget you will probably need to give up on the lower frequencies and select a ported subwoofer. Sealed designs offer some benefits, but efficiency and output per dollar aren't their strong suit.

For certain I would go to the SVS site and ask them what they recommend - they are extremely helpful and won't try to upsell you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Since you will be listening to quite a bit of music, I would suggest the Rocket UFW-10... better yet, add another when the budget allows. If you were more HT, then I would say an SVS. I have heard that the HSU's (along with SVS) are good at both, but most research I have done always seems to point towards the UFW for music.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Right this second, there are several SVS PB12-ISD/2 B-stock available in "colors" (white, gray, tan) for $799. That is a monster sub for that price, and it is tunable to 25, 20 or 16 hz.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Go for SVS, the best bang for the buck!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri1270
IB
Not practical for my application. Not to mention cutting a hole in the wall and/or the floor would result in instant divorce and selling of the house.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Just how big of a room is "enormous" in cubic feet? You might want to go to the form on Hsu's website and ask them if a VTF3 mk2 would be enough. It might be your best compromise of price, output and quality and allow you to stay comfortably within your budget.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Volume is over 12,000 cubic feet.

I know the amount I want to spend is horribly "under budget" for my current needs, but unfortunately the necessity to replace my old sub (died of lighting strike) and spend money on a new center channel (don’t ask) has occurred at an inopportune time. The reality is I can not justify the outlay of funds for the proper sub for the current space and also get a quality center channel.

At the same the plans are for a dedicated HT room in a few years with a significantly smaller volume thus, I would like to buy something now that would be a quality piece of equipment for such a setting. Given the volume I have now a sub from someone like SVS or HSU is probably my best bet. However the whole purchase before you hear something idea is foreign to me and makes me a little uneasy. At the very least I like to spend a lot of time at the store going through known material to see what sounds the best to me.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone out there have a deal on a used Velo 1812? :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bet993
Might be cheaper to put up another wall to lower the cubic feet. :p

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Unfortunately, your options are limited given your budget, and your room size is incredibly big; far bigger than most people here but the best you can do given your budget, (when I mean best, I'm talking strictly clean low distortion output), the SVS PB12-ISD/2 would be your best bet.

Good luck with your decision.

--Sincerely,

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I say get 4 SVS PB10s:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.