AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to put off a sub for a while, but I don't think that it's going to wait. I recently got Paradigm monitor9's, cc190, and apd-190's. While I enjoy the upgrade I made(they sound great) it just seems to be missing the umph factor. Movies are loud and clear but no punch. I'd like to find something around $500 or less. My room/kitchen is huge 35 x 18. I'd like something that I could maybe feel a little, but mainly just looking for the added element to the sound. I was looking at maybe a Velodyne dls3750, but when I put a 10" in my car I was severely disappointed. Friend has an SVS pb12, but it was a little more than I was looking to spend. Also it is giant. Any suggestions would be better than what I'm looking at now. I'd say I'm looking for about 65% movie/35% gaming. Although music may be joining soon it sounds much better now.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
That is a huge room! You will need one impressive sub to fill that space. I recommend going with 2 good subs. I also suggest that you wait until your budget can be $1,000 - $1,500 for 2 subs. If you go too small or too little power you will be really disappointed and wanting more. Its always good if you have multiple subs to buy identical ones so buyin a cheap one now and then a good one later is not a good idea. Two of any of these would be a good investment and you should be happy. SVS: PC12-NSD: Frequency Response – 17 Hz – 150 Hz, Power – 325 Watts RMS Continuous, 12” down firing subwoofer with single up firing 4” flared port - $599 X 2 or Outlaw Audio:

LFM-1 Plus: Frequency Response – 18 Hz – 180 Hz, Power – 350 Watts RMS Continuous, 12” down firing subwoofer with dual down firing 4” flared ports - $549 X 2 or AV123: MFW-15: Frequency Response – 18 Hz – 200 Hz, Power – 350 Watts RMS Continuous, 15” front firing subwoofer with single front firing slot port - $549.50 X 2

Also that center seems weak to me. With monitor 9s you should have went with the 290 at a minimum but preferably the 390.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that was one of the first things I noticed about the center. I thought I was getting the 290, but I was wrong. I have the option to upgrade for the first year. I could use what I was going to on a sub now to get the 290. Maybe more of a speaker forum question, but would that be a better investment to start with? Or should a wait and try to go with the 390 sometime over the next year(haven't even seen it except online). Nevermind, wife won't go for the 390 size on the stand

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The usual consensus is that most people say buy your front L&R first then either your center or subs next, then buy which ever one of those you didn't buy yet, finally buy the surrounds.

If the wife wont go for the 390 for the center then get the 290.

I would also recommend the ADP 390s for your surrounds. So if you actually want to upgrade your surrounds from the ADP 190s to the 390s maybe you can just take the 190s back and get your money back and use that towards the upgrade your center and towards 2 subs and then buy the surrounds whenever you have the money. You have a very nice setup but if you are making that big of an investment in an HT system you might as well do it right.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Also is this a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just got back from getting the cc290. Going for 5.1. The reason I got those surrounds was because they were cheaper at the time. Then I realized how much I was missing with the sub. I'll have to hold off another month or so to get subs. I'll hold off on surround upgrade maybe until I decide if I will upgrade to monitor 11s. Thanks for the help I'll look into the 15's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts