AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i just bought some polk RTIA1 bookshelf speakers for my 2-1 channel music setup and the speakers are fantastic but i need a good moderately priced sub 150-300 to fill in the lows for my music. i like the punchy tight sound to be used on my hardwood floors. any help would be appreciated! thanks

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i dont have any wood working skills but a nice second hand sub would be fine. i definately do not want a boomy sounding sub with music. right now i'm using a denon 1513 which does the job for me. i will only be using this for my cd-dvd music concerts in which i have around 150 of them. i enjoy them alot but i'm in need of a good sub to complement them! my living area is about 16X18ft with vaulted ceilings opening into the dining room/kitchen if that info is needed.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Then save up and buy a good one. I have a spare subwoofer similar to your budget, it sound bloody awful, I rather leave it switched off, then switch it on and ruin the soundstage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

i dont want a sub that will overpower my bookshelfs but give me that lower extension io balance the sound nicely!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley08  /t/1524813/sub-to-complement-my-bookshelf-speakers#post_24545505

i dont want a sub that will overpower my bookshelfs but give me that lower extension io balance the sound nicely!

A good sub won't do that, you just turn down the volume. I'd recommend the SVS SB1000 as a minimum.

What is the size of your room?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

i will look into some of these and maybe a second hand one or on ebay maybe!

·
Registered
21 Posts

I have the RTiA1s as well and like them a lot, However, they need help with midbass as well as low.  I have 2 SVS PB1000s (b-stock$449 each) because I feel I have to cross them over at 100Hz to pick up some of the midbass that the bookshelves lack and I was having localization issues with a single sub set at 100Hz.  Obviously 2 subs is out of your price range but its hard to find a

1 - 13 of 13 Posts