AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been gone over before, but there are some cheaper prices on some of the usual suspects.

First of all, my twentysome yr old M&K 2B died, is it worth fixing? or are there other subs that will go lower and cleaner in this price range?

The M&K filled the room fine, Room is avg size 15x20x8' high.

Music is a bit more important than movies but I want it to go low and clean and shake the walls. I don't need extreme volumes.

I noticed Emotiva lowered the Ultra 12 to $369 shipped, which if there isn't much difference, I'd buy it.

Craigsub CS now $400

Elemental Designs A2-300 $415

HSU VTF-2MK3 $549 and SFT-2 $319

SVS pb10

Epic Legend

Sunfire True MK II $600 used locally, I don't know how old it is?

Anymore I should consider?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If you have the proper M&K service manual, have a volt/ohm meter, and are good with a soldering iron, you could repair it yourself. For a subwoofer amp to last 10+ years is very good. You may need to replace only 1-2 electrolytic capacitors.

Else some repair shops charge in the range $200-500 and only guarantee their repairs 30-90 days. If you knew which capacitors were bad (and that was the only problem) and had the proper replacement capacitors, then some tv repair shops might replace them at a very minimal charge.

Else get one of the recommended subs in your price range.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball
I know this has been gone over before, but there are some cheaper prices on some of the usual suspects.

First of all, my twentysome yr old M&K 2B died, is it worth fixing? or are there other subs that will go lower and cleaner in this price range?

The M&K filled the room fine, Room is avg size 15x20x8' high.

Music is a bit more important than movies but I want it to go low and clean and shake the walls. I don't need extreme volumes.

I noticed Emotiva lowered the Ultra 12 to $369 shipped, which if there isn't much difference, I'd buy it.

Craigsub CS now $400

Elemental Designs A2-300 $415

HSU VTF-2MK3 $549 and SFT-2 $319

SVS pb10

Epic Legend

Sunfire True MK II $600 used locally, I don't know how old it is?

Anymore I should consider?
Man, I'm in the exact same boat as you. I hadn't considered the Emotiva, but if it compares to the others you listed, that's a sweet price and something I would strongly consider. The Legend is out of stock right now. I think for me it'll come down to ported vs sealed and overall size unless someone chimes in with info that added performance can be gained with one of these options. I'm also considering the new smaller SVS sub since for me, the smaller the better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. The first thing I did when it died was change the fuse, which didn't work. But I took it apart this morning and noticed it had a blown fuse on the inside. I changed it and it's working so far. The fuse must have been damaged from a power surge? We had a huge windstorm and were without electricity for a couple of days, it worked for just a short time after that.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The free shipping on the Emotiva makes it a great deal if it is a good sub. I wonder how my ancient sub holds up against the newer subs? I know it has plenty of power. I don't remember how many watts my M&K is rated at, but I only have it 1/3 of the way up and -3 on the preamp/receiver. Unfortunately, you just can't go listen to stuff anymore. It's all a bunch of best buy crap, no quality and no listening rooms.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts