AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a subwoofer that will actually play 20hz - 250hz with fairly flat output? Also need line level hi-pass that will crossover at 250-330hz?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
I think most subs will be able to play up to that frequency. Your problem is finding one with a 300Hz XO. I would suggest getting an active sub & defeat the XO or get a passive sub + amp. Either way, you will now need to purchase an external XO that meets your requirements. I would suggest Marchand Electronics as a solution. Their XM1 is $30 and works from 20-5khz (you pick the frequency when ordering).

You do realize that 250Hz bass will be easy to localize?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg, I'll check out Bryston as well on a crossover. I would be using the sub for the center, maybe additional subs for the surrounds. Because the center and surround monitors only have 5" midranges, they sound better crossed over at a higher freq. Currently crossing over at 120hz with a Proceed AVP, from there to my two mains. Just something I was thinking about playing around with.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you thought about just purchasing a center capable of full range witha built in sub like Defintive Technology's CLR 2500 or clr 3000?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
VMPS Larger would be perfect for you.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In a nutshell...nope

I have Waveform Mach 17s as mains and the Waveform MCs as center and surround, which are basically just the egg portion of the 17s. I have perfect timbre match for one of the finest speakers ever made, except for the crossover being much lower than on the 17s. The towers cross over at 315hz and I was thinking about trying to get as close to that as possible.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion, most true subs don't work very well above 80-125Hz, even if there adjustment says it can go up to 250 or higher. I think you might want to consider a good 8 or 10" woofer that will get you flat to say 40 or so with a bi-amp crossover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.