AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been rebuilding this room and now looking to upgrade my subwoofer. I currently have a single Epik Dragon (fine sub), but looking to upgrade.

Room Specifics:

Dedicated theater room built in 2009 that is 18.5 x 13 W x 8 tall

7.1 Setup with one row of seating

Only Used for Movies, Cable and Gaming. 60% Movies.

Soundproofed and treated with basics (i.e. double drywall, greenglue, acoustical panels, etc.)

Amp - Emotiva UPA - 7

PreAamp - Onkyo PR SC 886 (Planning to upgrade this)

Speakers (L,C,R, 4oms) - Emotivas ERM 6.3

Surrounds - Emotivas ERD-1

My front space where the two subs will go has a few constraints (24x24x24) area which eliminates some of large SVS-13 ported subs. WAF factor not a concern since they will be hidden behind a false speaker front.

Currently considering SVS-SB Ultra (need more money for two), Rythmik E15HP, FV15. I am leaning the Rythmik E15HP since it fits within the designated space, budget and sound requirements.

Am I losing anything between Rythmiks (E15 vs F15) or would I be better off with small ported subs from another manufacture? Remember they have to fit 24" space.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok1211  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24597877

I have been rebuilding this room and now looking to upgrade my subwoofer. I currently have a single Epik Dragon (fine sub), but looking to upgrade.

Room Specifics:

Dedicated theater room built in 2009 that is 18.5 x 13 W x 8 tall

7.1 Setup with one row of seating

Only Used for Movies, Cable and Gaming. 60% Movies.

Soundproofed and treated with basics (i.e. double drywall, greenglue, acoustical panels, etc.)

Amp - Emotiva UPA - 7

PreAamp - Onkyo PR SC 886 (Planning to upgrade this)

Speakers (L,C,R, 4oms) - Emotivas ERM 6.3

Surrounds - Emotivas ERD-1

My front space where the two subs will go has a few constraints (24x24x24) area which eliminates some of large SVS-13 ported subs. WAF factor not a concern since they will be hidden behind a false speaker front.

Currently considering SVS-SB Ultra (need more money for two), Rythmik E15HP, FV15. I am leaning the Rythmik E15HP since it fits within the designated space, budget and sound requirements.

Am I losing anything between Rythmiks (E15 vs F15) or would I be better off with small ported subs from another manufacture? Remember they have to fit 24" space.

Any thoughts?

I am/was in a very similar situation as you. I have an Epik Empire and wanted to upgrade to dual subs. After weeks of obsessing I pulled the trigger on dual E15HPs. The E15HP was recently reviewed by Jim Wilson (search E15HP vs SB13U) and Jim preferred the E15HP over the SB13U, but by a small margin. Compared to the SB13U, dual E15s are about $1,000 cheaper assuming you are in a state the doesn't require sales tax (I'm in Cali so no tax was collected since the product is being shipped from Texas).

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24598102

The E15's are a solid choice! Another option is the PSA XS30.

I don't know much about the PSA XS30, what benefits would I see? Is there any concern that the rear and front firing would have a negative impact in my space? I will look into them, but the price and cabinet size for dual setup is in the ballpark.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^^ I agree that dual Rythmiks would be a terrific set to own, so I don't think you could possibly go wrong with that choice. That being said, I own the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30. I use the SVS for music only and the PSA for movies only. I feel the Ultra is superior at music, while the XS30 took movie viewing to a whole new level. Since you want a sub for movies, I wouldn't dismiss the XS30 -- it's a great choice. Disclaimer: How a subwoofer will perform in your home may be different than how it performs in mine.

I know of no negative impact for dual opposing drivers vs front drivers, only positive (the cabinet is almost vibration free).

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok1211  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24601688

I don't know much about the PSA XS30, what benefits would I see? Is there any concern that the rear and front firing would have a negative impact in my space? I will look into them, but the price and cabinet size for dual setup is in the ballpark.

My E15HP should be delivered this week. I also have an Epik Empire, which is very similar to the PSA XS30. I plan to unscientifically A/B test (general listening impressions) and then run the two sub woofers together for music and HT.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24602207

^^ I agree that dual Rythmiks would be a terrific set to own, so I don't think you could possibly go wrong with that choice. That being said, I own the SVS SB13-Ultra and the PSA XS30. I use the SVS for music only and the PSA for movies only. I feel the Ultra is superior at music, while the XS30 took movie viewing to a whole new level. Since you want a sub for movies, I wouldn't dismiss the XS30 -- it's a great choice. Disclaimer: How a subwoofer will perform in your home may be different than how it performs in mine.

I know of no negative impact for dual opposing drivers vs front drivers, only positive (the cabinet is almost vibration free).

I have been in conversations with PSA Sales team (i.e. Tom) for dual XS30's for my space. The initial dialog required me to remeasure my exact cube space (now 23.5 h x 24 w x 25 d) because things were getting tight. His recommendation would still go "side-side" with the XS30s. If you go front to back the rear driver's acoustical output won't have a very clear path to the seating area. Side to side and you're fine. Very deep extension combined with a "violent" amount of mid and upper bass "slam" factor is a very interesting combination.

Can I get a second opinion if other's feel this would be a good configuration for my setup?

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok1211  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606748

I have been in conversations with PSA Sales team (i.e. Tom) for dual XS30's for my space. The initial dialog required me to remeasure my exact cube space (now 23.5 h x 24 w x 25 d) because things were getting tight. His recommendation would still go "side-side" with the XS30s. If you go front to back the rear driver's acoustical output won't have a very clear path to the seating area. Side to side and you're fine. Very deep extension combined with a "violent" amount of mid and upper bass "slam" factor is a very interesting combination.

Can I get a second opinion if other's feel this would be a good configuration for my setup?

I don't know if you have the flexibility/space to try the XS30s facing both ways, but if you do, my suggestion would be to experiment. I have an Epik Empire (same driver orientation) and I found that facing the drivers away from the seating positions (it sits nearfield) provides a better response in my room with less localization.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok1211  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606748

Wow, you have a huge volume to fill. Having the amplifier face the wall is the normal orientation for any subwoofer, dual-opposed or not (no one wants to see the cables). That's not to say one cannot orient them differently (consider the subwoofer as a point source with sound waves radiating outward).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahjd2000  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606823

I don't know if you have the flexibility/space to try the XS30s facing both ways, but if you do, my suggestion would be to experiment. I have an Epik Empire (same driver orientation) and I found that facing the drivers away from the seating positions (it sits nearfield) provides a better response in my room with less localization.

I think if I were to purchase I would. What made you pick the E15HP vs the PSA since you already had an empire?

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:

Very deep extension combined with a "violent" amount of mid and upper bass "slam" factor is a very interesting combination.

All those buzzwords are there to disguise the weakness of that model's performance. Believe it or not, the performance of these subs are actually quantifiable. What he is really describing to you is a peakish frequency response, in other words, lots of mid bass with respectively poor deep bass, which corresponds with what is known of the Power X driver performance. What is commonly regarded as poor performance is being sold to you as a good quality. I would get a sub with a good response curve, and not a sub with lots of output at one frequency but bad performance at another for the same output level. I would get a ported sub from Rythmik, SVS, or Hsu.

·
Registered
623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sok1211  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606936

I think if I were to purchase I would. What made you pick the E15HP vs the PSA since you already had an empire?

The short answer is space. I would have added a second XS30 to play with the Empire but the XS30 would have taken up too much space in my front stage (the Empire doubles as an end table). The other option I considered was dual XV15s which would have flanked my sofa as bookends but my wife preferred that we didn't have an end table on one side of the room. So, in order to get dual subs and appease the wife I had to go with something with a smaller footprint to stick up front next to my mains. I concluded that the E15 would fit the bill.

I don't recall if you're predominately a music or HT guy but my Empire great for HT! Today I was demoing my system for my wife and she said the wall, yes my wall, on the other side of the room was shaking during one of the scenes.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606967

All those buzzwords are there to disguise the weakness of that model's performance. Believe it or not, the performance of these subs are actually quantifiable. What he is really describing to you is a peakish frequency response, in other words, lots of mid bass with respectively poor deep bass, which corresponds with what is known of the Power X driver performance. What is commonly regarded as poor performance is being sold to you as a good quality. I would get a sub with a good response curve, and not a sub with lots of output at one frequency but bad performance at another for the same output level. I would get a ported sub from Rythmik, SVS, or Hsu.

How do you know the XS30 has poor deep bass? How do you know the XS30 has a peakish frequency response? The XS30 does not use eq boost in the lower frequencies so it has a natural roll-off below 30hz of 12db per octave. You can not use data-bass measurents of the XV15 to determine the performance chsracteristics of the XS30.

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,837 Posts

Quote:

Very deep extension combined with a "violent" amount of mid and upper bass "slam" factor is a very interesting combination.

You can be confident that whatever Tom is telling you is accurate. Without question, he is one of the most knowledgeable and respected people you're likely to encounter. He's not prone to hyperbole either. The XS30 is highly regarded for it's combination of output and depth, qualities that will prove extremely beneficial given your cavernous room size. For the price it's a very enticing option, something numerous people who actually own them will readily attest to.

·
Banned
8,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24607016

How do you know the XS30 has poor deep bass? How do you know the XS30 has a peakish frequency response? The XS30 does not use eq boost in the lower frequencies so it has a natural roll-off below 30hz of 12db per octave. You can not use data-bass measurents of the XV15 to determine the performance chsracteristics of the XS30.

Given the XV15's measurements , the Power X driver is plainly a poor choice for a sealed configuration. Hell, its not much for a ported configuration either. It is simply not a very good driver. Call me old fashioned, but I remember the days when having an accurate frequency response was desirable. Nowadays its all 'violent' mid bass and a car subwoofer SPL competition mentality. I'll give it this much, if you need lots of 50 Hz and not much else, Power Sound Audio has you covered.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606967

Thanks for the feedback. But the ported subs mentioned above (unless your thinking PB-2000) can't fit in my 24x24x24 space in front. Its one of my constraints, although very nice subs.

·
Registered
14,311 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24607211

Given the XV15's measurements , the Power X driver is plainly a poor choice for a sealed configuration. Hell, its not much for a ported configuration either. It is simply not a very good driver. Call me old fashioned, but I remember the days when having an accurate frequency response was desirable. Nowadays its all 'violent' mid bass and a car subwoofer SPL competition mentality. I'll give it this much, if you need lots of 50 Hz and not much else, Power Sound Audio has you covered.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell  /t/1526954/sub-upgrade-1900-2500-want-to-buy-two-thinking-rythmik-right-now#post_24606841

Wow, you have a huge volume to fill. Having the amplifier face the wall is the normal orientation for any subwoofer, dual-opposed or not (no one wants to see the cables). That's not to say one cannot orient them differently (consider the subwoofer as a point source with sound waves radiating outward).

You may have misread my post, although not sure it changes your comment. My room is 18.5' L x 13.5'f W x 8H and my sub allocation on my front screen wall wall is approx 24 inch cubed enclosure. They are built into my wall.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts