AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trolling in here for months and I think I've narrowed down my selection.

I have an AVR 347 with a decent 5 speaker Polk setup.

I'm looking to replace my Polk PSW10. I was set on an SVS PB-10NSD.. until I came across the BIC-H100. I am not an audiophile (though I try to be). I will be watching 60% movies, 35% TV and 5% music.

My initial budget was $300.. so by going SVS, I'd be extending that $200! The BIC stays right under budget for me. From what I've read from smart guys like Craigsub, the PB10 is better then the BIC. But my question is this... Is the upgrade from the Polk to the BIC greater then the upgrade from the BIC to the SVS? I just want to make sure that I'm getting a significant upgrade over my Polk sub. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVboy /forum/post/12915730

I've been trolling in here for months and I think I've narrowed down my selection.

I'm looking to replace my Polk PSW10. I was set on an SVS PB-10NSD.. until I came across the BIC-H100. I am not an audiophile (though I try to be). I will be watching 60% movies, 35% TV and 5% music.

My initial budget was $300.. so by going SVS, I'd be extending that $200! The BIC stays right under budget for me. From what I've read from smart guys like Craigsub, the PB10 is better then the BIC. But my question is this... Is the upgrade from the Polk to the BIC greater then the upgrade from the BIC to the SVS? I just want to make sure that I'm getting a significant upgrade over my Polk sub. Thanks.

Having just upgraded from a PSW10 to an Elemental Designs A2-300, it will be a night and day difference going from the Polk to the BIC or the SVS.

As for trying to decide between the SVS and the BIC this really comes down to budget and regrets. I do not own the BIC, but I suspect that you would be very happy with the upgrade over the PSW10. Paying an extra $200 is a tough call. While I am sure the SVS is an improvement over the BIC, it comes down to budget usually, and $200 more is not trivial. You could almost buy 2 BIC subs for that price! Personally, I would recommend getting the BIC and saving the $200. You may also want to check out the Elemental Designs subs (A2-300). Using Craigsub as a reference, it actually outscored the SVS sub you are looking at and is cheaper. The A2-300 is $375 shipped and the A2-250 is $325 shipped. Any way you go, you cannot lose
Based on my experience the difference between the PSW10 and my eD-A2-300 is night and day. You will be very glad you upgraded

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVboy /forum/post/12915730

Not to make things more confusing, but if you can stretch your budget some, I'd recommend taking a look at the Cadence CSX-15. The few people that have them have said very positive things. It's price is $399, with free shipping. I'm not sure if it's still on, but I think there's a promotion going right now for $30 off. Contact Cadence to see about that. Again, it's around $70 over your budget, but at least it isn't $200 over budget, and the CSX-15 should handily outperform the Bic, IMO. Nothing against the PB10 - I personally run two PB10's in my system and love them, but $200 is a lot of money to add to your budget, so I'm trying to be more budget-conscious in my advice
. eD's are great subs as well, but you're looking at a 2+ month wait for them, so if you want to see your sub anytime soon, I'd recommend the Cadence or SVS. Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll bump because I'm also interested.

I'm trying to do something between $250 and $500

I don't want to wait months for an eD A2-300 or Epik Valor.

Would anybody chime in on their thoughts regarding how much of a difference there is between a CX-15 and H-100? I know the CX-15 goes a little higher up on budget, but that's OK if it's significantly better than the H-100. The only reason I worry about the H-100 is because I'm dealing with a big room that opens into the rest of the house (maybe 5-6k CF).

Sorry to threadjack!

·
Registered
43 Posts
So, while I had the thread open, two other people posted and pretty much addressed my questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I would recommend the Cadence CSX-15, it's only $370 shipped and it will outperform the SVS and the Bic.

·
Registered
518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/12927250

I would recommend the Cadence CSX-15, it's only $370 shipped and it will outperform the SVS and the Bic.

Not so sure about outperforming SVS but bic yes.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdadi /forum/post/12928182

Not so sure about outperforming SVS but bic yes.

The PB10 has a 10" driver right? The Cadence has a 15", it would definitely extend lower more easily.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/12929295

The PB10 has a 10" driver right? The Cadence has a 15", it would definitely extend lower more easily.

Driver size is part of it, but enclosure size, tuning frequency, and amplifier among other things also affect extension. I believe the PB10 actually has slightly better extension than the CSX-15.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts