AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the NHT SW-10 and when i hooked it up for the first time I noticed a very loud "humming" noise. I also have a JBL powered sub but I do not hear any noise coming from that. I hooked up the NHT to a friend's receiver and it sounded and worked fine w/o noise.

I have the Monster Powerbar 1100 line conditioner but that does not seem to fix the problem. Anyone have any ideas? Could it be the wiring in my house?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Don't cut the plug off your power wire. Use a ground loop isolator like the Radio Shack ground loop isolator (product #27-054). Jensen makes them as well as a bunch of other choices.

If you have cable TV, that's a major source of ground loops. Test it by unhooking your cable from your system and see if the hum goes away. If so, you need a cable TV isolator, also available at Rat Shack and Jensen.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
bad ground need to isolate that probem first.........

·
Registered
554 Posts
I read an article (can't remember where but if you do a search you will get a lot of information on ground loop hum) that said this device (see below) could stop the ground loop problem with cable TV and was designed better than most you would find at places like Radio Shack. It went into a lot of detail about how ground loop problems in your TV cable can cause hum in your audio gear in a home theater and how to build your own isolator. It then went on to say that the writer did find one isolator already made that was better than most of the others in its design and was probably cheaper than making one. I am no electrician but here is the one they recommended.

http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComme...jsp?id=32-9500

You will also need a F connector like the 27-445 (or other) to make it work with your connector. I bought one to eliminate a low hum I had in my audio setup when I added a second sub. When I moved the second sub so it was on the same circuit as the rest of the gear (also recommended in the article) the hum became almost inaudible. I haven't had a chance to hook up the isolator yet. It may also get rid of the TV interference I sometimes get, seen as large horizontal bands that move up the screen. I guess ground loop problems can be hard to diagnose and its a matter of trial and error so I wish you luck. The best thing is these parts are at least inexpensive to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.