AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I missed where I might find the answer to this, my apologies.

I'm looking for the "proper" way to setup a sub-woofer without a sub-out on the receiver or a pre-Amp option.

Specifically, I have a now quite old Denon AVR-800. It's an OK receiver and I like it, it has spring-loaded speaker outputs, fl, fr, center and surrounds. No sub-out and no pre-Amp out. I bought a new KEF 2150 powered sub-woofer based on the salesperson's assurance that it could use it. I don't see how. The sub has four inputs, all RCA low-level. In one setup of the 2150 (there's really only two shown, and each only in pictures, no text description) the subout of a receiver goes in the line in left of the sub. In the other setup, the preAmp output (L&R) goes in the L&R line ins of the sub and the outputs of the highpass outputs go to an amp and then to the L&R speakers. Now I told the salesman I didn't have a subout or a pre-Amp out and he said I could run the "regular" L&R speaker outputs from the receiver to the sub and then run the speakers off the high pass outputs on the sub, essentially like the second diagrammed setup, accept w/o the pre-Amp outputs and the Amp outs to the L&R speakers. This doesn't make sense to me tho, seems like the sub would not be expecting a signal of the kind (strength) directly from the speaker outputs, and that the subwoofer outputs wouldn't by themselves be enough to power the speakers.

What can I do?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
The salesman is full of hot air.

The best option with no new equipment would be to use the receiver's tape loop as a processor loop. The problem is that the sub's level would not vary with the volume control, and would have to be adjusted manually.

Best bet with low cost would be to get a speaker-level-to-preamp-level adapter. They are made for both automotive and home use. They have speker terminal inputs and RCA outputs; just parallel them with your main speakers.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I like the "AudioLink" brand because the board is encased in cast alluminum and the gain is variable. I think Recoton (Stinger/Aamp of America) still carries them.

Larry, could he also try the left RCA output from his DVD player?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Well, yeah, he could, but the volume would be at full crank and with no way to adjust it, short of the sub's level control; who wants to have to mess with it every time you change the volume?!

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
True, that would be inconvient. He could run a volume pot between it. Alpine sell them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.