AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to calibrate the subwoofer in my Hi-Fi. I need test tones

white noise- subwoofer volume to minimum/off. Play test tone and adjust pre-amp volume (speakers on) to a set level, ie 75dB.

Do not touch pre-amp volume past this stage

White noise- disconnect speakers/switch power amps off. Play test tone and adjust sub volume until it matches to 75dB.

I have found white noise and it plays from speakers fine, but from the sub it doesn't seem to be doing much, at all. If white noise is full spectrum how come the sub isn't rumbling during the white noise?

Or do I need some other kind of noise, but I want two files that are the same level, reason why I'm using the same tone.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522017/sub-white-noise-tones#post_24467329

I want to calibrate the subwoofer in my Hi-Fi. I need test tones

white noise- subwoofer volume to minimum/off. Play test tone and adjust pre-amp volume (speakers on) to a set level, ie 75dB.

Do not touch pre-amp volume past this stage

White noise- disconnect speakers/switch power amps off. Play test tone and adjust sub volume until it matches to 75dB.

I have found white noise and it plays from speakers fine, but from the sub it doesn't seem to be doing much, at all. If white noise is full spectrum how come the sub isn't rumbling during the white noise?

Or do I need some other kind of noise, but I want two files that are the same level, reason why I'm using the same tone.

White noise has equal energy at any frequency, so the energy is more highly concentrated at high frequencies where there are more frequencies per octave.

Pink noise has equal energy per octave so there is more LF energy..

I recommend that you bite the bullet and get on the Room Eq Wizard (REW) train.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mic would cost £125+

So I'd need to use white tone for adjusting pre-amp, then use pink noise to bring up sub to speakers?

ok tried white and pink noise, sub is way too loud. Not sure if Hi-Fi sub calibration can be done, the tones in my Lexicon seem to get it spot on (HT)

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522017/sub-white-noise-tones#post_24467365

Mic would cost £125+

So I'd need to use white tone for adjusting pre-amp, then use pink noise to bring up sub to speakers?

Most people stick with pink, because its easier to listen to.

Both are equally accurate once you are calibrated appropriately.

Quote:
ok tried white and pink noise, sub is way too loud. Not sure if Hi-Fi sub calibration can be done, the tones in my Lexicon seem to get it spot on (HT)

As far as the £125+ mic goes - do you have any major component in your system that was cheaper than this? ;-)

I know that my measurement mic is far and away the lowest cost, and most significant from the standpoint of sound quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts