AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'd make my own out of RG-6 and some F-type to phono adapters that can be found from places such as partsexpress and radio shack (RG-59 would be much easier to work with as it is eminently more flexible). All you need is a 75Ohm cable with RCA (phono) connectors. FWIW, I pre-ran a sub cable through the walls and attic to the rear of the room for future placement and used RG-6QS as I had a huge spool laying around...

There really is no need, IMHO, to spend big bucks on cable. I hear that several of the boutique manufacturers will make cable in custom lengths. If you are so inclined, Partsexpress also sells 75Ohm mic cable (shielded or unshielded) for a pittance. You could buy some of that in whatever length you desire and then get some fancy phono plugs and make your own high-dollar expensive cable for pennies on the dollar. Most retailers will attempt to charge an arm and a leg for a "subwoofer cable" of that length.

You may want to check out the rhino cable and bluejeans cable websites, as I recall they don't charge too much for their high-quality cables and will do custom lengths.

Hope this helps,

Sorny

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a part of a spool of RG6, so will just make my own cable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
There really is no need, IMHO, to spend big bucks on cable.....Most retailers will attempt to charge an arm and a leg for a "subwoofer cable" of that length.

No kidding. I went to a Local Tweeter's yesterday and got a bunch of very nice Tributaries cables they had on clearance. Got various lengths of single audio and 1 single video cables for $5/ea. They were originally selling these at $20, $40 and $75. They were probably still making money off of me for $5/ea :)

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drbrousters
Try here:
http://accessories4less.com/items.as...CAB%2DSUB&tpc=
I think the site above always has a time out for direct link to any of the products. You'll have to just go to the main site and step thru whichever cables you might want to get. They have very nice AR cables which I'm using (but replaced like 3 pairs in favor of the sale items I got above). I'll find a new home for them in the bedroom somewhere :)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sorny
I'd make my own out of RG-6 and some F-type to phono adapters that can be found from places such as partsexpress and radio shack (RG-59 would be much easier to work with as it is eminently more flexible). All you need is a 75Ohm cable with RCA (phono) connectors. FWIW, I pre-ran a sub cable through the walls and attic to the rear of the room for future placement and used RG-6QS as I had a huge spool laying around...

Sorny
Right-On!, Sorny!

I don't think you can do better for signal-level wiring than RG-6. Solid 18ga conductor, quad (100%) shielding. 75ohm, etc. I use it for my component video too. Did a direct A/B at 30' against an expensive manufactured component set and there was no difference.

Parts Express also sells crimp-on RCA terminations for RG-6, so you don't have to get an F to RCA adapter.

Gordon

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Just got a 25' LFE cable from bluejeans cable, fast service! My VFT-2 is finally in the correct spot, really helped improve the sound quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.