AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Yamaha rx-v471 receiver and when I plug in my sub woofer cable I get a loud humming noise and I can also hear a radio station coming from the speakers.

I bought a new sub woofer cable and even if I only plug it into the receiver I still get that humming noise. I have already returned the receiver and this is my second one and still same issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

PS I had an older Yamaha receiver before buying this one and had no issues.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wonder if you have a ground loop issue. Try plugging the sub into it's own separate outlet. If that won't work try using a two prong adapter on your sub power cable. That gets rid of the ground and it's been known to get rid of the humming noise. Keep in mind though, many people don't recommend this route.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow that's weird. It almost seems like your sub cable is acting like a radio antenna. Ok well I'm a member with limited knowledge so don't worry, the experts will chime in today. I just thought I would pass along what I have learned about ground loops.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasen23
But I get that noise just from plugging the cable into the receiver. It's not even plugged into the sub-woofer yet.
Well, plug it into the sub. An unterminated cable is an antenna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.