AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I purchased a Paradigm PDR-10/v.4 sub-woofer from a friend.

I hooked up the sub up to my Yamaha RX-V659 receiver with a in-line connector. I set the phase to 180 , turned up the volume and it booms.

I have both the sub and receiver set to 80 Hz cut off .

There is one control option , on the sub , that never my friend or I are sure about. That's the " Sub-woofer Cut-Off Frequency" 2-position switch on the back of the sub. The switch gives 2-options : "Variable 35 Hz - 150 Hz" position or "Bypass" position . It's currently set to "bypass" position. But I don't know what it's Bypassing ? The receiver's 80 Hz cut-off setting ?

And if I set the switch to the "Variable 35 Hz - 150 Hz" position , what would be the technical difference from the "bypass" position ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliver /forum/post/18397472

Yesterday I purchased a Paradigm PDR-10/v.4 sub-woofer from a friend.

I hooked up the sub up to my Yamaha RX-V659 receiver with a in-line connector. I set the phase to 180 , turned up the volume and it booms.

I have both the sub and receiver set to 80 Hz cut off .

There is one control option , on the sub , that never my friend or I are sure about. That's the " Sub-woofer Cut-Off Frequency" 2-position switch on the back of the sub. The switch gives 2-options : "Variable 35 Hz - 150 Hz" position or "Bypass" position . It's currently set to "bypass" position. But I don't know what it's Bypassing ? The receiver's 80 Hz cut-off setting ?

And if I set the switch to the "Variable 35 Hz - 150 Hz" position , what would be the technical difference from the "bypass" position ?

Thanks.

The bypass setting turns off the crossover inside the sub and lets your receiver control the crossovers. This is usually how it's done. Leave it on bypass and let the receiver do the work. Make sure you run any in-room set up for your receiver (YPAO?) to properly intergrate the sub with your system.

Also, I would set the phase to 0. This is the most common setting for a single sub system.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18397538

The bypass setting turns off the crossover inside the sub and lets your receiver control the crossovers. This is usually how it's done. Leave it on bypass and let the receiver do the work. Make sure you run any in-room set up for your receiver (YPAO?) to properly intergrate the sub with your system.

Also, I would set the phase to 0. This is the most common setting for a single sub system.

Also go into the "bass management" control section of your receiver. Set the L/C/R & surround speakers to "small" with the cutoff set at 80Hz. Set the LFE upper frequency to 120Hz. Set the LFE control to "LFE+MAIN". This way the mains plus surrounds reproduce everything above 80Hz. Content below 80Hz from the MAINS will go to the sub. LFE content will also go to the sub. The sub will get any LFE content from the source being played up to 120Hz. This is your default starting position. You can play around with the 80Hz MAINS cutoff and LFE 120HZ cutoff to get the best sound that you like from your system.

Mark E

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meastman /forum/post/18403622

You can play around with the 80Hz MAINS cutoff and LFE 120HZ cutoff to get the best sound that you like from your system.

I would not set the LPF of the LFE to less than 120hz because sound up to 120hz is output from the LFE channel. Setting it any lower will result in missing some LFE material.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18403814

I would not set the LPF of the LFE to less than 120hz because sound up to 120hz is output from the LFE channel. Setting it any lower will result in missing some LFE material.

Good point. My take is that the OP has his receiver's LPF of the LFE set to 80Hz. My point was to get him to jack it up to 120Hz b/c he's missing the 80Hz-120Hz content of the LFE.

Mark E

·
Registered
644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meastman /forum/post/18404189

Good point. My take is that the OP has his receiver's LPF of the LFE set to 80Hz. My point was to get him to jack it up to 120Hz b/c he's missing the 80Hz-120Hz content of the LFE.

Mark E

Understood. I just wanted to clarify for the OP because I had my LFE LPF set to 80hz for years before I realized my blunder!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dondino /forum/post/18397538

Thanks for your answer about the switch. I just now ran the YPAO Mic.

It set the sub to 0, but in my room the sub has to be set to 180 , or I won't hear any bass. (?) The YPAO also gave me a warning that all my speakers had reverse polarity ( not true ), but the manual said depending on the speakers , the YPAO could give a false report on speaker polarity. Since my 7.1 speaker system is a "hybrid" group of speakers, I figured that confused the YPAO . All it's other settings seem good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meastman /forum/post/18403622

Also go into the "bass management" control section of your receiver. Set the L/C/R & surround speakers to "small" with the cutoff set at 80Hz. Set the LFE upper frequency to 120Hz. Set the LFE control to "LFE+MAIN". This way the mains plus surrounds reproduce everything above 80Hz. Content below 80Hz from the MAINS will go to the sub. LFE content will also go to the sub. The sub will get any LFE content from the source being played up to 120Hz. This is your default starting position. You can play around with the 80Hz MAINS cutoff and LFE 120HZ cutoff to get the best sound that you like from your system.

Mark E

I'll try some of the settings you recommend , and comment back on the results.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts