AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Got myself a pair of MA Silver RX6s and a RX centre a few weeks ago, and now itching to upgrade the sub

The existing sub is a Mordaunt Short Carnival 7, and I'm looking around for subs in the range of the SVS SB12-NSD or the MA RXW-12. I'm open to other choices too, but will partial to something which will match the Walnut veneer of my RX6s

I don't live in the US and local prices may not always follow the exchange rate, but I would love to hear suggestions from you guys.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Well matching the walnut veneer shouldn't be too hard. After building your enclosure, buy some walnut veneer and various colors of stain. Try out each color on a test strip to see which one matches the best, and use it. As for finishing (poly vs. lacquer vs. linseed or tung oil, I will leave that up to others that know more than me)

As for your sub, do you have a price and size limit? How about placement limitations that would require drivers to only be on one baffle, etc...?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
1200...Could you go with an 18"? How about twin 15"? Sealed or ported?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
You could go simple and buy a Dayton RS 12" driver and a Bash300 amp. Sealed won't give you prodigious amounts of output, but ported, it could do a little better. The amp would be a tad too powerful though. Price of something like that would be around $300 plus the cost of wood and veneer.

I would definitely look towards the Dayton RS HF 15" (sealed) if going the 12" route. It can be used with the same Bash300. That would be better than the SVS, but also be larger.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts

Quote:
Ive got the RS6 monitor audio's and trust me a dayton RS12 or HF15 is going to be enough.

I would go with something like two ported FI Q15's and get two second hand EP2500 amps to run them bridged. 6 cu ft boxes tuned to 19hz with 2000 watts will give you 116db at 20hz. Absolutely p*ss all over the puny 12 mate.

You cant chuck any more than 300 watts at the Dayton 12" driver. Your 9db down compared to the Q15.

I am running two 15 cu ft Q18's and the RS6's keep up with them no problem and don't sound distorted either. I am running an onkyo 876 and have the fronts bi amped.

Buy one, really then you will only wish you had gone this route or similar at least. What are you going to buy for that money when compared this these. Nothing for less than twice your budget. That's a fact.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullerms /forum/post/20816703

I'm looking to buy one, not build my own.

Any other recommendations please?

Well you are in a DIY forum, there is a regular sub forum also. You'd get a better response in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts