AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Davis Clone 800x600 projector and I was wondering with regards to image quality would I notice any difference with the suberbit DVD? I know I am not able to see the full DVD resolution so I was wondering if there was any Image quality increase I would be able to see with my projector using the suberbit DVDs.

Tim Huey

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Something about DVD resolution is 1024x768 or better and my 800x600 doesn't resolve all of the data an anmorphic DVD transfer has.

Tim

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Tim,

I don't believe that to be the case (1024x768). If memory serves me its about 850 x 500 or so of viewable area.

The Plus Piano (aka the model HE-3100) can handle a widescreen DVD correctly.

So you don't actually need 1024x768, you do need just a little more than 800 horizontal lines of resolution.

Regards,

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Quote:
But when viewing anamorphic dvd's with an SVGA projector, lines will be lost.
An anamorphic DVD contians 720 active samples by 480 lines. You will scale the image up to SVGA, not down.

Now, if you are talking about making your DVD player downcovert to 4:3 from a DVD that is enhanced for 16x9, that is a different issue. If you have a product like a Faroudja and a 4:3 screen running at 800x600, you will not loose anything. It will scale the image up and fill in the correct space while preserving all of the DVD detail.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sspears
Now, if you are talking about making your DVD player downcovert to 4:3 from a DVD that is enhanced for 16x9, that is a different issue.
Making the squeeze from the projector itself results in lost lines also. Not all of us have the possibility to buy a scaler.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not using an external scaler. I'm using an HTPC with DVD-ROM drive. I use WinDVD and I think it tosses lines out. So would my image be better if I bought non-anamorphic disks?

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.