AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm finishing up my sub floor after what seems like forever... Half of my room will be carpeted so I didn't really care about flatness on that side. The other half of the room will have laminate on it so I've been mulling over my options. This is an old basement so there's not much for headroom. I've already installed platon over all the walls and floor and now I'm trying to decide on what sub floor to put in that area. The problem is that the floor is by no means flat. The variations are small enough over most of the room though that even a thin osb sub floor (7/16") would be enough to correct it. I was even leaning towards (3/4") osb to be absolutely sure. But here's the rub... The corners of the basement are raised almost 3/4" or possibly more. I'm sure this made sense when the floor was poured. I mean if there was ever a water problem it would drain to the center of the room and away from the walls. But this now leaves me trying to adjust for this. My first thought is to lay down 3/4" osb sub floor like I was planing and cut the 2' from the corner. This would make the rest of the sub floor lay flat. Then I could caulk the edges of the triangle I cut out and pour in some kind of leveling compound up to the sub floor level. One problem with this is that since there is platon underneath, normal cement based leveling compounds would crack and break up because of possible movement. Does anyone have any other creative ideas or know of any semi flexible leveling compounds? Thanks! Oh, And here's a picture of what I was trying to describe with the corner cut:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I decided to try and ask someone at the flooring department at one of the "big" stores. They advised me to cut out the platon for the corner and lay down a dam of either caulk or hydraulic cement around the edges. After that they said to just pour regular leveler in the area. That way it won't have the bonding issue and I wouldn't have to worry about water problems either. The dam and leveler would seal around the edges of the cut platon and my water barrier would remain intact. Any thoughts as to which approach would work better? Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having a hard time visualizing your problem. Wouldn't your floor be level to the corners once you put the 3/4' osb on the platon since the corners are 3/4" high to begin with? Or are you saying after you lay the 3/4" osb the corners would be lower?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well each corner of the room has a slope that is raised about 3/4" higher than the rest of the floor. Like a little hill that starts about 2 feet from each corner. If I laid 3/4" over the whole room the corners would be raised 1.5". The resulting slope would cause the OSB to flex and be "spongy" which is unsuitable for laminate. I would eliminate the flexing by cutting off 2 feet of each corner of the osb sheets which butt up against the corners. Then I would just have to deal with the small 2' x 2' triangle cutout at each corner. The hill would still be there but the top of it would then be level with the rest of the OSB sheets. I'm probably going to tackle the problem in the next couple weeks if you have any other ideas! Any ideas are welcome! Right now I'm leaning towards just cutting out the 2 foot triangle of platon and making a dam of caulking around the edge. Then I would pour in leveler or some sort of mortar with lathe into the cutout.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.