AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the windy http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=261711 thread on "EDTV proliferation" someplace a poster suggested that going from a 480i signal to 480p is a bigger PQ jump than going from 480p to 1080i. The main question in this post is: Is this true of all plasma screens?

Forgive me for not isolating the post, but I am hoping for more feedback from both EDTV and HDTV owners as to how much the PQ jumps up with signal resolution. Expansion particularly from owners of 768 horizontal line sets would be appreciated, as would other realistic signal scenarios that would make going HD more compelling.

Another observation from that thread that seems like a mystery to me was why there was only one post noting how DVD looked better on HD sets. I can understand how 480p DVD's to native 480 line ED sets can look really good, but still, I observe a noticable jump in PQ at 10 feet when the DVD signal is pumped through HD 42's. Is the internal upscaling what achieves this?

Without adding to the mentioned thread I can say it seems the HD price jump isn't the $2,000 so commonly mentioned. It now seems closer to $1,300 from internet price searching. Case in point, the Panny ED/HD plasma's are just under 3k and 4k, respectively.

TIA,

Chris

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.