AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The subjective means please avoid discussing objective rants re level matching, double blind testing, ranting about break-in or power cords, etc. I am not interested. Do you own thread if you wanna do that stuff. Thanks.

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...port?cat=audio for info on the new PS Audio PerfectWave Transport

Our Az AV Club had a club demo by Paul McGowan, President, PS Audio, of their brand spankin' new Perfectwave Transport and PerfectWave DAC at our meeting at the end of June!!!

I was impressed and ordered one direct from PS Audio (I admit to paying a lotta money but getting a reviewer type discount) and I set it up last Wednesday.

If folks behave, I will continue this thread over time as I use my new PS Audio PerfectWave Transport. If folks I simply will enjoy my system but no longer post about this stupendous product.

In summary - if you have a Theta Casablanca 3 with Extreme DACs, then you can forget about SACD and DVD-A, even if you have matched floorstanding speakers and amps all around for the best multi-channel sound, because redbook CD in stereo alone is better sounding than anything else, period! Its that good. Redbook CD in Circle Surround is also very outstanding but you can at times detect a bit of processing, I surmise from the surround derivation, so it may be even better just stereo. And though SACD and DVD-A multi-channel always sounded great in my setup, they are not just beat a bit but the new PS Audio sort of beats them by several steps in the naturalness of being there, soundstaging, vocal, etc. That much closer to actually being there.

I wasn't expecting the PS Audio to be this good. I was hoping it might make redbook CD sound closer or as good if I was lucky as SACD. My expectations were [email protected]@

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Setup:

My Theta Compli is on Symposium Rollerblocks, on a Symposium Ultra platform, using a Granite Audio power cord and a Cardas AES/EBU digital

cable. Also uses multi-channel Granite Audio analog cables to Theta Six Shooter for SACD and DVD-A.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Initially I setup the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport on a Symposium Ultra platform, and used a API power cord and a Cardas AES/EBU digital cable,

last Wednesday nite. I then didn't have a Granite Audio power cord which would reach to the PS Audio Premier Power Plant without moving stuff arund (I had a longer Granite Audio power cord stored at my office, as I was gonna sell it, and I later brought it home and used it for today's demo),

Initially, after an hour or two, the player sounded quite nice using redbook CD. But it didn't make wanna listen and enjoy any more or even as much as my Theta Compli for redbook and certainly not as good as my SACD or DVD-A. BURN-IN NEEDED? Next few days burned-in player around the clock except for a hour or two each day. Last night, connected Granite Audio power cord, and inserted Symposium Rollerblocks.

Then I played cuts of our 2001 Arizona Audiophile Society Sampler CD:

1)
Spanish Harlem

03:37

Rebecca Pidgeon from The Raven

2)
Jamaica Heartbeat

05:33

Acoustic Alchemy from Back on the Case

3)
Too Proud

04:40

Sam McClain from BluesQuest

4)
Rakoczy March

04:42

Baltimore Symphony from La Marseillaise (Berlloz)

5)
WIcked Game

04:51

Chris Isaak from Heart Shaped World

6)
Peel Me a Grape

05:52

Diana Krall from Love Scenes

7)
You and Your Friends

06:02

Dire Straits from On Every Street

8)
Overture

04:45

Carter Burwell from Celtic Moods

9)
A Chorus Line

09:00

Dallas Wind Symphony from Beachcomber

10)
Five Women

05:37

Joe Cocker from Night Calls

11)
Kansas City Monarch

07:41

Ronnie Earl from Still River

12)
Little Dog`s Day

02:18

Kim Kattral from Mark Levinson Live Music

13)
Back in the Woods

02:55

Douglas Rosenberg from Skip Hop & Wobble

14)
Little Chubby

01:37

Thom Rhotella from Thom Rhotella Band

15)
The Vikings

04:32

Dallas Wind Symphony from Pomp & Pipes

16)
Spaseniye Sodelal

04:08

Turtle Creek Chorale from Postcards

I have used this disc to test in my system for years and I know how it sounds So does my audiophile friend Lon, who would assist me in the demo Saturday (today).

Woops! Last night I could tell I had something special. But just listened a bit, played a Blu Ray movie, went to sleep, all the while continuing the burn-in process, this time with a special Purist Audio Burn-IN CD that I,ve used for years. I also used that burn-in disc this AM on my Theta Compli to ensure it was at its best.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was playing the CD Emmylous Harris "Spyboy" when Lon arrived. WOW! I almost felt like I was there, as did Lon. I love this CD but its never sounded like this before!

Next - lunch break, to celebrate Lon's birthday [email protected]@@

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
So Redbook CD now sounds better than SACD and DVD-A to you?

You were wise to ask people not to comment.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now we're back from Thai lunch at Nundaphal's Thai Cuisine, downtown Mesa, the best Thai food outside Thailand on the Planet Earth!!!

Using the PerfectWave Transport - we played:

"1812 Overture", all 14+ minutes, from the multi-channel SACD disc with test tones, but played the stereo track. WOW! So much like we were there live listening. The Children's Chorus was in front of us. Voicing was

wonderful - closer to those few top stereo systems I've ever heard!

Lon and I both felt pulled into the music like never before in my system even SACD or DVD-A.

We then played the last several minutes of the same cut, but in multi-channel SACD, via the Theta Compli. What once had been superb in my system was not equaled by the Perfectwave Transport. It was trounced by the PerfectWave Transport.

The only exceptions are the Compli SACD, with discrete multi-channel mixes, had a few extra bells coming from the surrounds, and on those loud bass passages arguably better bass. But that was to be expected,

as all of my Aerial speakers at via the Theta CB3 high and low pass cross- overed (Phase Perfect) 40 Hz 6 dB, so the multi-channel mix is gonna have m ore bass. But if there was a redbook mix discrete multi-channel and SACD then redbook would have also trounced SACD in the bass, too.

From an enjoyment standpoint there was NO CONTEST - redbook trounced SACD thanks to PS Audio.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next we went through all the sounds on the 2001 CD Sampler, Az Audiophile Society, songs listed above in this thread. With the PerfectWave Transport.

Every song was simply incredible like never before. Thats all there is to it.

Then we played the same sampler disc, cuts thereof, on the Theta Compli, using Cardas AES/EBU digital out to Theta Casablanca 3 with its Extreme DACs. From the outset, no contest. What had been very listenable and impressive, redbook CD by the Compli, was in comparison [email protected]@@

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At this point, no need to even go back to Compli for any more redbook CD or even for SACD. Lets listen to more redbook CD via PS [email protected]@@

In the late 90's I luved to listen to Chuck Loeb's Memory Lane, a redbook CD encoded in Circle Surround, which I played in my Casablanca 1's Circle Surround mode. So I played a bit of it. Really nice!!!

Played some Christy Baron, again the redbook track from a SACD. Wonderful, voicing and staging like never befor in my system.

I tried a few 96-24 DVDs that I have, which play on my Theta Compli digital out to my Theta CB3 Extreme DACs. They won't play, says "invalid disc". Paul McGowan mentioned that the PerfectWave DAC will play WAV files at higher resolutions, but apparently these DVDs are not WAV files. Oh well.

Next I played some cuts from a test redbook CD from Usher Audio, wich some great stuff including George Bensen. Lon salivated that though his stereo system sounds nice on this its nothing like mine now. Just sounded wonderful!!!

Lon had to go home so his wife can take him out on the town for his birthday.

I need to rest and also post this. HA!

I will be doing more in days and weeks to come, and if you behave, I will post more.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh - what got me interested in the PerfectWave Transport?

Lotta buzz by audiophiles I know abandoning their expensive redbook CD transports for music servers, mostly saying to them the sound quality of the music servers is somewhat better or at least close to as good as their CD player, and they love the convenience of the music server.

Then I heard about the upcoming PS Audio PerfectWave Transport,

A bit of info from the PS Audio website shows why I am interested:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...port?cat=audio

"Using an optical ROM reader , the PWT extracts the data off any CD or DVD in bit-perfect condition without using error correction and places that data into a special version of the PS Audio Digital Lens. Once inside the Digital lens, the musical information is stored in pure form without clocks or any reference to time. The stored musical information is then retrieved by the PWT's asynchronous fixed timing clock and output to your DAC with perfect timing and extremely low jitter through its digital audio outputs, or jitter-free through the HDMI connector.

The results are remarkable. Based on comparisons with any standard technology CD or computer based system, the PWT produces hands-down noticeably better performance for any listener on any system. This transport unlocks all the musical magic stored in your CD library and hidden from you all this time."

For now I don't mind picking my CDs off my rack instead of a more expensive music server. And I felt that this new CD player by PS Audio would perhaps even sound better than the various more expensive music server systems. And I knew I could also get a reviewer discount from PS Audio, and if by chance I didn't like it, I'd sell it. No need for that, it ain't goin' nowhere.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now if I were to add the PS Audio PerfectWave DAC, MSRP also 3 grand, then later this year when the Music Bridge, MSRP $500, comes out, I can add a hard drive and have a server. I may consider this later, but not right now. Right now I am enjoying my Theta CB3 Extreme DACs with the PS Audio PerfectWave Transport and that is that.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few other notes:

We find that using Circle Surround 2, Circle Music, with the PW Transport,

sounds best with the CB3 Center Spread feature off.

And Lon preferred Stereo mode. He was in the rear center between the rear speakers. I was in the front middle and in center of all the speakers.

I have to do more listening to see if I have a preference, Stereo and Circle Music seemed close.

With the Theta Compli on redbook CD, Circle Music's front end sounded identical whether in Stereo or Circle Music mode - the Circle mode simply added a bit of ambience in the rear to widen the sound stage.

But with the PS Audio, Lon felt he may have heard it sound a bit veiled in Circle Music in comparison to stereo, which could be the case due to the transparency of the player. I need to do more listening to determine this for myself.

·
Premium Member
12,437 Posts
Many believe that the reason music servers sound as good as they do is that when the CD is ripped to the server, and since it does not have to do so in real time, that bit perfect copies are guaranteed....and hence low jitter. Any chance of comparing your new toy to identical music played off a new server into your DAC's in a A/B comparison?

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy /forum/post/16969109

Many believe that the reason music servers sound as good as they do is that when the CD is ripped to the server, and since it does not have to do so in real time, that bit perfect copies are guaranteed....and hence low jitter. Any chance of comparing your new toy to identical music played off a new server into your DAC's in a A/B comparison?

Most CD and DVD player today have so little jitter that it is not a issue. And most good DAC's have no problem with some jitter either.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy /forum/post/16969109

I don't have a music server. But if someone wants to bring one over I'd luv to do such a demo!

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/16967644

Oh - what got me interested in the PerfectWave Transport?

Lotta buzz by audiophiles I know abandoning their expensive redbook CD transports for music servers, mostly saying to them the sound quality of the music servers is somewhat better or at least close to as good as their CD player, and they love the convenience of the music server.

Then I heard about the upcoming PS Audio PerfectWave Transport,

A bit of info from the PS Audio website shows why I am interested:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/d...port?cat=audio

"Using an optical ROM reader , the PWT extracts the data off any CD or DVD in bit-perfect condition without using error correction and places that data into a special version of the PS Audio Digital Lens. Once inside the Digital lens, the musical information is stored in pure form without clocks or any reference to time. The stored musical information is then retrieved by the PWT's asynchronous fixed timing clock and output to your DAC with perfect timing and extremely low jitter through its digital audio outputs, or jitter-free through the HDMI connector.

The results are remarkable. Based on comparisons with any standard technology CD or computer based system, the PWT produces hands-down noticeably better performance for any listener on any system. This transport unlocks all the musical magic stored in your CD library and hidden from you all this time."

For now I don't mind picking my CDs off my rack instead of a more expensive music server. And I felt that this new CD player by PS Audio would perhaps even sound better than the various more expensive music server systems. And I knew I could also get a reviewer discount from PS Audio, and if by chance I didn't like it, I'd sell it. No need for that, it ain't goin' nowhere.

You do realize that in studios and production facilities where these discs are created the files are stored on rather large 'music servers'.

So somehow through this PS audio transport the derived 16bit cd sound superiour to the 24 bit masters played straight from the studios music storage system. Right...

If only you had even a little understanding about how data is stored as pits and lands on a cd you would have know that the marketing blurp you quote about the transport is utter nonsense.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/16971016

You do realize that in studios and production facilities where these discs are created the files are stored on rather large 'music servers'.

So somehow through this PS audio transport the derived 16bit cd sound superiour to the 24 bit masters played straight from the studios music storage system. Right...

If only you had even a little understanding about how data is stored as pits and lands on a cd you would have know that the marketing blurp you quote about the transport is utter nonsense.

THis is not about your alleged version of objectivity. This is how on what I demod my system sounded. PS Audio's explanation or your explanation mean nothing if the sound isn't better than what a already have. On what I played, the PS Audio player simply bested easily my Theta Compli both in redbook and even in SACD, the latter which was startling.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bruzonsky /forum/post/16969990

I don't have a music server. But if someone wants to bring one over I'd luv to do such a demo!

It turns out that you might have a music server now.

When this transport playes the disc it stores the audio files pulled from the discs into memory and playes it from there.

Does it remember cd's you played previously and can you replay them without re inserting the disc? (the Youtube wasn't clear about that )

Or does it only buffer the one disc you are playing.

From your post I gather you go to your dac over the spdiff output and you are not using the superior I2S interface the PerfecrWave combo supports.

It turns out the transport still uses the usual error correction before storing the discs contents in memory. It's only the playback from memory that doesn't need the error correction.

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Derks /forum/post/16971231

It turns out that you might have a music server now. When this transport playes the disc it stores the audio files pulled from the discs into memory and playes it from there.

Does it remember cd's you played previously and can you replay them without re inserting the disc? (the Youtube wasn't clear about that )

Or does it only buffer the one disc you are playing.

From your post I gather you go to your dac over the spdiff output and you are not using the superior I2S interface the PerfecrWave combo supports.

It turns out the transport still uses the usual error correction before storing the discs contents in memory. It's only the playback from memory that doesn't need the error correction.

The player remembers so many minutes or more of the current song and thereafter - how much exactly I do not know. But once you take out the CD, it continues playing - I haven't measured how long. Then if you push stop it stops playing whatever song and thats it.

However, the PerfectWave DAC, which I didn't get, is going to have a Bridge available which you connect to your music server. I didn't get the DAC. I am using AES/EBU digital balanced from the Transport to my Theta CB3 surround processor and its Extreme DACs. I just wasn't expecting it would sound as good as it does, quite marvelous!

·
Registered
27,353 Posts
I think what Frank is saying is if the CD source is 24 bit, the CD is 16 bits and the PS AUDIO is simply recording the CD (as you can remove it an still listen to it), what could it be doing to improve upon the 16 bit source?

Correct?

1 - 20 of 314 Posts