AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using for subwoofers in your bigger HT.And what numbers are those subs genereating. Do you use a typical corner placement or something else.

There have been alot of threads on how to fill those big rooms with bass and I know there are big rooms out there.

What is big ? Lets say 18' x25' x Typical 8'to9' ceilings. If your room is bigger let us know.

Can you get even numbers across your seating positions.How many seats do you have and how many tiers

I have a sofa reliner that fits three adults or five skinny kids :p

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a start, :)

with all respect to you reply, who sits six feet from their subs, me being the exeption. It would be usefull to be able to calculate his measurements with our placements.

OK math guys, can you do this. Lets say my room is 7500 cubic feet but my sub is twelve feet from the first tier of seats.Whats lost in that distance? Just trying to save those calculations and use them for real room use.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
As long as all the subs are measured at the same distance and the same room, the output can be directly compared. A sub with a higher output at 2 meters will also have a higher output at 4 meters in the same room. I really was trying to help... :)

The specific room characteristics are a huge influence on the in-room performance. Personal preferences for listening level, etc are also all over the map. I'm not sure what you will learn from getting information on what subs are used in different rooms by different people, other than to see the variability in budgets and tastes of the forum members. I suspect there are plenty of people with rooms bigger than their budgets (me included) - so we buy the best we can afford, but that doesn't mean it would be satisfactory to someone with a bigger budget. :)

There IS a way to estimate SPL at different distances - I just can't remember the db/m factor. :eek:

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well didn't I sound like a dick,sorry. I guess I would like to know how these big rooms are filled with bass and what they are using.

What the variations from seat to seat also are. Are there any pro installers on the forum that can give us an idea of how you get the bass uniform across seating positions multiple seating positions.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Nah - it takes alot more than that to rile me up. :) I *think* it is an inverse square relationship (like so many other things having to do with wave propagation), and so I *think* that makes it -6 dB every time you double the distance. I will gladly accept a correction from anyone who actually knows for sure. You also need to be careful of all that 1/2 space vs 1/4 space vs 1/8 space stuff, and all the other in-room effects on SPL. HTH.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
just remember that the 6 dB decrease is for every doubling of distance in meters. Just thought I'd mention it since you were referrring to your seating distance in feet.

kg,

don't tell me you're abandoning the dark DIY side and looking for a commercial sub?

·
Banned
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod
just remember that the 6 dB decrease is for every doubling of distance in meters. Just thought I'd mention it since you were referrring to your seating distance in feet.
That is true in full space or in half space, but in-room it can be anything between 1-6 dB, because of the boundaries.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran
Do you use a typical corner placement or something else.
I've never had much luck with corner placement. You can get one note "boom", but IMO it's very hard to get even response in a corner. I like 1/3 length placement for a single sub or, for multiple subs, mid-wall locations ( room layout and WAF permitting). In my much smaller (than yours) room, 12X20X10, I have 4 subs placed mid-wall as suggested in the White Papers on Harman's Website. It is literally bone shaking...

John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.