AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I read around that some people prefer to raise their sub from the floor.

I don't have any particular problem at all and mine is just a curiosity.

In cases like mine at least, where the sub doesn't vibrate the floor (wood on concrete), the only benefict would come just from raising it few inches and I was wondering if that is a hype or else.

I have a Jl f113 now, along with a Rel, and it is a spectacular piece of equipment and my thought is that if there was a any benefit at all by rising the sub, JL would have provvided a stand or taller feet.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,696 Posts
Maybe....if you don't have any sort of issues, I wouldn't bother. I use a sub dude. But, I wanted to "decouple" it from the floor, which in turn isolated it from the walls (with pictures hanging on them) connected to the floor.

It also tightened up the bass a little bit.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicguy /forum/post/15580621

Maybe....if you don't have any sort of issues, I wouldn't bother. I use a sub dude. But, I wanted to "decouple" it from the floor, which in turn isolated it from the walls (with pictures hanging on them) connected to the floor.

It also tightened up the bass a little bit.

I didn't think about that specific problem, "the walls", but that is a reality in my room, I have lots of pictures hanging. if such a simple device can do the trick I'll give it definitively a try.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
26,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/15580420

Hello,

In cases like mine at least, where the sub doesn't vibrate the floor (wood on concrete), the only benefict would come just from raising it few inches and I was wondering if that is a hype or else.

I have a Jl f113 now, along with a Rel, and it is a spectacular piece of equipment and my thought is that if there was a any benefit at all by rising the sub, JL would have provvided a stand or taller feet.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

Here's a over 400 post thread on the subdude

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=subdude

Plus, there are a dozen or more other threads that came up using

advance search

title search only option

Subdude as the search word

highlighted this forum from the list to the right

·
Registered
585 Posts
The SubDude is worth every penny. It's job is to eliminate vibrations that muddy the sound and it does just that. Every sub I've ever had caused my windows, doors, and floors to resonate which is very irritating not to mention how it colors and muddies the sound. The amazing thing about the SubDude is that there is a real and noticeable improvement and it's only a $50 tweek.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your inputs. Definately I learned something with this thread. I will definately buy one and hope for to minimize those rattles in my room.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/15583569

thanks for your inputs. Definately I learned something with this thread. I will definately buy one and hope for to minimize those rattles in my room.

to each his own I guess, but if minimizing rattles means you feel less shaking and quaking at your listening position then no thank you. I bought the Ultra to feel it as well as hear it

·
Registered
585 Posts
Believe me you still feel the bass, in fact it's deeper and has better impact without the annoying rattles associated with room resonances. I strongly believe that you should never hear anything other than the sub, meaning the room should not contribute to the sound in any way by means of vibration or causing anything to rattle. My house is 120 years old, it's very easy for a sub to rattle the floors, doors, and windows. After adding the SubDude room resonances disappeared and I was able to turn the sub gain up a little because much of what I was hearing before was the room resonating.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
I think they make no difference with my side-firing HSU 3.3 that has large rubber feet on the bottom. Also, it may be because I have carpet with a decent pad on a plywood subfloor.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by orologio /forum/post/15580420

Hello,

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks

stack the REL ontop of the JL and turn one 180 degrees. They wont vibrate as much.

problem solved.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I started it and I'll finish it up ...

I did end up getting a subdude and it amaizingly helps with the resonance pretty well in my room, but the major upgrade I made was a mopad from auralex as well. Gone completely is the boxiness from my center channel. Absolutely a must have if you have such a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts