AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first sub and I have a question: Is there a volume knob on subwoofers?If yes, while changing volume levels of a/v receiver and subwoofer, how can I know if the subwoofer can handle that level? Or is increasing receiver's volume level does not affect subwoofer's toleration?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Depending upon make and model, yes. You can look at pics and manuals for brands you're considering.

I started with the sub set low (say 30%) then ran the AVR's auto setup and see what it set to (increase, 0, decrease). It set it to about +2 dB, which is about right.

Also, follow your sub's manual for setup, and your AVR's.

// Posted from Tapatalk 3.2.1 for iOS - later versions are pfft //

·
Vendor
6,234 Posts
This will be my first sub and I have a question: Is there a volume knob on subwoofers?If yes, while changing volume levels of a/v receiver and subwoofer, how can I know if the subwoofer can handle that level? Or is increasing receiver's volume level does not affect subwoofer's toleration?
Home audio subwoofers won't have a volume control. They will have a gain control. They may seem identical as adjusting them gives you similar effects. However, there are important differences.

It is more accurate to think of the subwoofer gain control as something that adjusts the input sensitivity on the subwoofer. In other words, it defines how much bass output you'll have for a given input signal strength.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
^ As Tom indicated, it adjusts the input sensitivity. Look at it this way. Difference receivers may be a little different in their output signal to the subwoofer. My Zvox’s output was much lower than normal receivers, so required a larger gain setting on the subwoofers I was using at the time. And Tom can correct me if I'm off base :).

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Home audio subwoofers won't have a volume control. They will have a gain control. They may seem identical as adjusting them gives you similar effects. However, there are important differences.

It is more accurate to think of the subwoofer gain control as something that adjusts the input sensitivity on the subwoofer. In other words, it defines how much bass output you'll have for a given input signal strength.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks for the info Tom, it will be useful to many home owners I'm sure.

Gary

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
Is it safe to use subwoofer's gain level/master level at near max levels?
only if the incoming input signal is not so high as to cause the sub damage on peak levels. IOW, "it depends." Equally true of lower sub gain levels . . . .

as a practical matter, in order for the sub to be useable with a potentially low output receiver sub channel output, it needs a goodly amount of gain. Maybe a hundred times (from a power perspective (that's 20 decibels) what it's lowest likely needed gain will be. You cannot promise that any specific level will be "safe" although you can usually trust that high sub gain level plus high receiver sub channel level will give you plenty of distortion, in most circumstances, even if it doesn't destroy the sub.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
What AVR or preamp are you using? Does it have a room calibration software in it? My Marantz AV 7702 will tell me if my gain level is too high or too low when calibrating via Audessy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for your answers.

I am using Pioneer VSX-519V-K receiver.It has neither automatic room calibration nor Audessy.

I bought a subwoofer a few days ago.I set ch level(on receiver) to +2db for subwoofer.Master level on subwoofer is at 0(1/2 I think) and x.over frequency on receiver is set to 80hz.My problem is, the metal part of subwoofer which has settings like master level,phase level,crossover freq. etc... gets warm after just listening to a few songs. After about 1 hour or so that metal part gets very hard,sometimes even touching it is difficult.

I hope I don't have to lower settings, it can cut off impact of bass of subwoofer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts