AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 500 dollar market has many options and great subs to chose from. The one thing that that range does not offer from the ID's is a room eq with the sub. Would a room EQ built in to the sub say like a DEQ12 from velodyne push me to choose that sub over an ID companys sub of similiar price ?

·
Banned
2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow /forum/post/19507270

The 500 dollar market has many options and great subs to chose from. The one thing that that range does not offer from the ID's is a room eq with the sub. Would a room EQ built in to the sub say like a DEQ12 from velodyne push me to choose that sub over an ID companys sub of similiar price ?

You can always buy an external eq for whatever sub you choose later. ED for example sells a sub equalizer for less than $100 shipped.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow /forum/post/19507270

Check this article out:

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/content...and-award-goes

The tester ranked the Velodyne DD-18 very high for real-world use, as opposed to the world of testing, because of the 8 band EQ, which can be used both in automatic mode and user adjustable mode, or a combination of the two.

The thing is that in the $500 market you don't find this kind of sophistication.

The EQ in the DEQ12 is 5 band, which is, of course, better than the 2 band $100 EQ from Elemental Design.

You can almost certainly get more output, deeper extension or both by going ID. Also, later, when you have some more money, you could pick-up a Veldoyne SMS-1 or the AntiMode 8033 which is fully automatic.

If you could find the DLS-R 15 for a price you could afford, it is a very good sounding sub that just doesn't go below 25 Hz.

Lots of people are spending $750-$900 for sophisticated EQs like the one from SVS:

http://www.svsound.com/products-parts-subeq.cfm

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replys. Chances are down the road being able to afford an additional 750 for an eq may be a steep hill to clime. So I guess the question is, is it better to have a flat Bass curve OR go louder and deaper ?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

imo, flat....

going to 5hz (i.e. deeper) or getting massive spl at one frequency ("louder" in the example you make), does no good if your response curve sucks...

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I understand the 8 band in the DD series is superior, but is the 5 band a crude implementation or is it "good enough" ? I understand that Good Enough is subjective, I mean aa in it is better to have Audyssey Multeq XT32, however MultEQ XT is better then nothing and makes a noticable difference.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
I actually prefer a sub that has greater inherent performance capabilities to start with and not compromise deep bass performance. So, I would go with the SVS PB-10 NSD over the Paradigm.

There are EQs that are cheaper but require some work on your part. The Behringer Feeback Destroyer and REW can be very effective. But you have to climb the learning curve. Total investment I think is about $200 plus lots of time.

It would bug me knowing I wasn't getting strong response to 20 Hz.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow /forum/post/19507893

Thank you for the replys. Chances are down the road being able to afford an additional 750 for an eq may be a steep hill to clime. So I guess the question is, is it better to have a flat Bass curve OR go louder and deaper ?

I paid $100 for two of these: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...06/?mode=model I use REW to measure the response. Paid $90 for the calibrated mic and $50 for a Behringer MIC2200 so that I could run REW on my laptop. So for $240 I can measure and EQ my mains, center and subs.

·
Registered
30,797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow /forum/post/19507976

I mean aa in it is better to have Audyssey Multeq XT32, however MultEQ XT is better then nothing and makes a noticable difference.

Either of those will be better for an inexpensive sub than its built-in EQ.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Kal, good call

I was actually coming back to reply after hours of research, it would appear that a Sub Eq with only 1 position measurments is not a good idea when running Multeq XT anyhow, I will play with my positioning and Audyssey. For now I will stick with the Paradigm and the Rel.

One question, and Kal maybe you can help, I am wondering, while running dual subs, if I should use the the Rel for LFE or just use Nuetrik to subsadize the mains and run the Paradigm as the LFE.

Just wondering what Audyssey will have te easiest time with.

Associated equipment of importance

Rel Q201e

Paradigm DSP3100

Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Mains

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another suggestion - Behringer Feedback Destroy 1124p. Those are available for under 100. Works very good with REW and USB to MIDI adapter (another $6 or so) It has 2 channel x 12 parametric eq.

I picked up 1124p from Craigslist for $50 and got very good results with it.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the feed back on subwoofer Eq's, if I was smart I would look into these solutions
Not to late to start being smarter

·
Registered
30,797 Posts

One question, and Kal maybe you can help, I am wondering, while running dual subs, if I should use the the Rel for LFE or just use Nuetrik to subsadize the mains and run the Paradigm as the LFE./QUOTE]Can I get a rewrite with the details filled in? Thanks.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course, what details would help clarify? I am interested in running 2 subs. I have the AV7005. I understand that running 2 subs that are not created equal can be problematic. While the Rel is great for mucic I have heard that it is not a good HT performer. So I thought that by adding a second sub that has more "output" I could fill in a gap. Any and all help is greatly appriciated. So I think the ultimate question was is it easier for Audyssey to run room correction with one sub rather then two? Thank you

·
Registered
30,797 Posts
I think running these two quite dissimilar subs from the AV7005 which sends the same signals to both of them can be a problem. The more different the subs are in design and position, the more important it will be to EQ them independently, especially since you cannot, I believe, set different levels and delays for the multiple sub outputs.

Not sure what options you have.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Kal

I wonder if I would be better off buying a small sealed sub that is similair to the Rel, as finding another rel is tough. Or, do I sell both and start over...

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
So is the eQ.2 that ED sells worth having ?

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskekow /forum/post/19516719

Thanks Kal

I wonder if I would be better off buying a small sealed sub that is similair to the Rel, as finding another rel is tough. Or, do I sell both and start over...

You might want to look for a used SVS SB-12 Plus. When the new SVS sealed subs start to ship, you may find a mint SB-12 Plus for ~$500 or less. Small, sealed, response to ~25 Hz.

Check Audiogon for either SB-12 Plus or REL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts