AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to activate my ReplayTV 5080 here today - and was wondering what method to use when doing so.

Mainly because I have heard/read some horror stories here on the forum about folks trying to activate via SB's website.

I'm really in no-rush to activate it...as I do not have a source for it to record just yet...Dish network is being installed on Saturday morning...and I want to have it rady to go for when I finally get programming at my new house/residence.

Any feedback on website activation vs. calling SB is much appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used the web site twice for both my replays. When you receive a email after entering your credit card info, it requests you do almost the same transaction again. Make sure that you enter the coupon code they give which results & shows up as a free transaction, but really you previously pd. DO NOT enter your credit card # a seconed time or you will be billed twice. If the bottom line on the 2nd tranaction does not show zero, do not send it and go back over the form to correct you mistake. Both of mine were activated the next day.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mbunting
...I'm really in no-rush to activate it...
Well I wouldn't delay but do it on the web first -- quicker and easier. To follow through, force a connect after one full business day/night and if it hasn't activated by then call and see why. They can generally get it on within hours in a pinch, if you call in @ the right time and they forward it to the tech.

Try to avoid needing doing it over a weekend/holiday. And don't call on a Monday or Friday without planning to be on hold? ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more quick question in regards to activating the 5080...

Do I need to do all this BEFORE I start connecting my 5080 to my other Home theater gear and prior to turning it on for the first time?

Or will it prompt me to activate via web or phone once I boot her up?

Thanks for all the help guys...I'm switching over from TiVo to ReplayTV and just want to be sure I do everything right.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You'll about a 3 day trial period prior to it turning into a doorstop. Activate before the trial is up and you'll not have any difference in operation.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks crayf - I'll activate it here this afternoon via the web and then it should be good to go for when my DISH gets installed on Saturday morning.

Thanks again for all the help fellas!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I would get it plugged in and working before I activate it. You will need information from it anyway for the activation anyway. I did activate via the web but since there was an error at that time in the web I had to call to get it finished a day later. It sounded like the web is not really the problem but for some reason some machines need a kick to get them activated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice berg0449 - that way, in case it doesn't boot up or work..I won't have to go thru the trouble of contacting SB to change my subscription/activation to a replacement 5080.

Thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
Also, as KenL stated... I activated the new 5040 last Sun and by the same time on Monday the System Information screen was updated to reflect the activation. I also heard about some web activation problems due to a temporary server problem at SB but it must have been fixed by the time I activated my unit... no problems... very easy.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I activited mine on the web without problems. Website takes only MC and Visa. I read in another thread that if you call in you can use AMEX.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I activated it (monthly subscription for now) on the website with no problems. The fan noise is somewhat concerning to me...but I think I can life with it because all my equipment is concealed in an equipment rack.

It is noticeable....(the fan noise) but it's actually quieter than my Sony SAT-T60 receiver ever was....(DIRECTV w/ TiVo receiver). So..I think I'll be able to live with it.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK - I have an unusual question: Say I go ahead and get the Replay activated (lifetime), but I want to use it strictly for recording from a videocamera and in a location with no phone or other internet access. Will the Replay keep working in manual record mode or will it become the proverbial doorstop after a certain period of time? What I have in mind is using it to record church services and then functioning as a server for making distribution copies.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Lifetime activation turns off the nightly check. Even though it says its checking for service activation, ReplayLyndon has said that when you lifetime activate the unit, it never has to call the mothership ever again and will still stay alive. The monthly subscription has a time limit, however, in which it needs to check in or it gives a nasty message. Something that will shut it off even if you screw with the clock.

At least that's what Lyndon said :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
However, you DO want to let it connect with home every once in a while for software updates. It hasn't happened for a while, but Showstopper owners who didn't keep theirs plugged in, found that they couldn't update the software any more after a few versions.

I would keep it plugged in if that is possible and if that isn't possible, then I would try to connect every month or so.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We activated the new 5080 yesterday (Saturday aftenoon), and it showed as fully activated when I checked System Information around noon Sunday. We activated it via the Web site.

I do have to complain about some lousy JavaScript on the activation page that prevented us from continuing until we looked at the page source. We were using IE on a Mac under Mac OS X, and it was sort of annoying. If we didn't know how to read the source, we would have been stymied. Someone in page design at SonicBlue should have their mouse washed out with soap.

I don't get the confirming email with the coupon code, though. It tells you to go and register, which is the process whice caused you to get the email. Do I have to register twice to make it stick or something? Does the coupon code do me any good?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.