AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since i'm having a hard time trying to get one of these anywhere shipped to Australia (no stock) i was wandering if a Soundblaster audigiy/audigy II would be a suitable alternative? I will be using my processor to decode all the signals... all i need the card to do is pass thru the signal to my processor. My concern are with stuttering. Will the creative cards do the job fine?

My current config:

P4 2.4ghz

512 pc-2700 ram

ASUS P4PE mainboard

60gb 8mbcache hdd

pioneer scsi 6x dvd rom

ati radeon 9100 128mb

software used

windvd platinum edition

windows XP

Using Goo projector @[email protected]

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Hi,

I think this product is rather obscure but it was someone on this forum that mentioned it. The Manufacturer is Audiotrak and the card is the 7.1 gold.

I made the mistake of getting just the 7.1 which will pass DTS movie traks thru its's optical out, but you need the GOLD for DTS music discs.

I got this card from a shop that caters to muscians who do home recording.

Anywho maybee it's for you, mine works great for playing HDCD encoded music through WindowsMedia Player 9 to my reciever connected by the optical cable.

Peter m.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Petermwilson,

That 7.1 Gold sounds interesting, what is the price of that card and is it available to be purchased online somewhere? I dont think its available in Australia at all right now..if ever?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Go cheap. Find anything locally that has a SPDIF out, prefferably something discrete instead of using a mini-jack (or even worse, sharing a mini-jack with some other function). I'm using a $40 (bought a year ago) Philips Seismic Edge card that's got an RCA out for coax SPDIF to my receiver . . . works like a charm.

That is, unless you want other stuff that the Audigy gives you. Any Audigy will add a Firewire port to your machine, and the Audigy 2 will allow you to play DVD-A on your PC which at the moment is a feature unique to it. If not, don't waste your money. Hercules makes several cheaper models with optical SPDIF outputs, too.

My $.02

Kensai

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
diadore78,

I can't find a 7.1 Gold on their website ( www.audiotrak.net ). Do you by any chance mean the Prodigy 7.1 which has 24/96kHz a/d converters to record analog material (e.g., can record and playback), or the Mayi 7.1 which apears to be mainly for playback?

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.