AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are ther any DVD Players that let you move subtitles up with movies like Kung Fu Hustle? With my Momitsu it's not possible and I had to watch it letterboxed within a 2.35 screen.

Roman
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,406 Posts
Hi, Roman!


I don't know of any stand-alone players that'll do this (not to say that there aren't), but the TheaterTek HTPC DVD player certainly can do this, in addition to doing all the scaling that you'll need for DVDs, etc. It's terrific!


Chers!

MarkF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I have a Zenith DVB318 (with the firmware back-graded to support HD over component) and it repositions subtitles to be within the 2.35 image (at least on the movies I've watched so far). I was pleasantly surprised that it did this.


I'm running a 2.35 screen with a CRT projector and it works great.


Cheers

Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your help I'm going to give a Zenith a try. I am running a Sharp 12000 with a Panamorph P752 and Lumagen for scaling.


Roman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray
I have a Zenith DVB318 (with the firmware back-graded to support HD over component) and it repositions subtitles to be within the 2.35 image (at least on the movies I've watched so far). I was pleasantly surprised that it did this.
Just to clarify, do you have manual control over the subtitle position, and are you sure you're watching a disc mastered with the subtitles below the frame?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Just to clarify, do you have manual control over the subtitle position, and are you sure you're watching a disc mastered with the subtitles below the frame?
There does not appear to be manual control over the position of the subtitles. But in my limited experimentation, the player seemed to add them over the image. They were not mastered in.


I'll play around with it again to be sure.


Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
OK. I take it back. I've tried a couple more movies and the subtitles are not positioned entirely within the video on a 2.35 movie. :(


It seemed fine when I watched 'Hero' a while back. Oh well, nothings perfect. :)


Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray
OK. I take it back. I've tried a couple more movies and the subtitles are not positioned entirely within the video on a 2.35 movie. :(


It seemed fine when I watched 'Hero' a while back. Oh well, nothings perfect. :)
It's all about how the disc is mastered. Some studios default to placing the subtitles within the movie image, but other studios default to placing them below it. Since the subtitle file is not a permanent part of the movie image, it should be possible to manually move them, but no DVD player offers that option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
i think Kill Bill Vol. 1 is an example of subtitles mastered below the picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeash
i think Kill Bill Vol. 1 is an example of subtitles mastered below the picture.
Yes, but IIRC only if you play the disc with its default settings where there are no subtitles for the English dialogue but subtitles appear during foreign dialogue. Oddly, if you go into the menus and choose to watch the entire movie with English subtitles, the position of that track is within the movie image.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
I found that the subtitles on LOTR:RTOK are entirely within the image when turned on.


So yeah, sometimes it works with the Zenith, sometimes it doesn't.


Too bad it wasn't more consistent...


Keith
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Murray
I found that the subtitles on LOTR:RTOK are entirely within the image when turned on.


So yeah, sometimes it works with the Zenith, sometimes it doesn't.
It has nothing to do with the Zenith. It's all about how the disc is mastered. The studio chooses where to position the subtitles, not the DVD player.


It should be possible to move the subtitles from where the studio places them, but DVD players don't offer that feature yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern Dias
I believe that TheaterTek offers a subtitle nudge function for moving subtitles.
Right, some HTPC programs do, which is why it should be perfectly feasible to implement the same control in a standalone DVD player as well, but no DVD players have done it yet. This is one case where the HTPC crowd has a decided edge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,286 Posts
I'm very sure that it can be done. but people tend to hate subtitles and have no use for them! I bet the demand of this feature is not important enough for the chipset/player manufactues to imlement. Hopefully some next generation formats will have better subtitle features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,230 Posts
Wasn't one of the features of Blu-Ray the supposed ability to manipulate the subtitles (I guess smooth fonts in order to look more high rez. than DVD fonts) by size, color, font, and position using its Java based instruction layer?


That would be super sweet!


Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
I believe the Panasonic DVD-S97 (european model type) offers the ability to re-position subtitles. Since TheaterTek can do it, everybody should be able to do it and I really do hope the next generation DVD format will offer this. This feature is a must for people with masking screens or CH screens.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkmedia2
I'm very sure that it can be done. but people tend to hate subtitles and have no use for them!
Except for people who watch foreign movies, or American movies with certain scenes in a subtitled foreign/alien language (hello, Star Wars!).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Except for people who watch foreign movies, or American movies with certain scenes in a subtitled foreign/alien language (hello, Star Wars!).
Yeah for me it's mainly the forced subtitles that translate certain foreign language lines into english. They only pop up every now and then but it's confusing seeing the actors or bad guys talk in another language and you cant understand it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,286 Posts
Most people dont watch foerign movies!:) If it's not in English they will never watch it! 70% of my DVDs are non region 1, or non American English movies. Not that I have that many.


that's right Tukkis, everytime I see a hollywood movie and the bad guy speaks with a accent or another language.. oh boy... not again.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top