AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a list somewhere for movies that display subtitles within the movie frame and not the black letterbox bars?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
There are plenty BDs that have subtitles above lower black bar thus the subs is in the picture frame,this will get most advantage of cinemascope screen.The studios support ths issue are FOX UNIVERSAL PARAMOUNTwith DREAMWORK LUCAS'S FILM.SONY and WARNER should change the subtitles issue like most of studios,just my humble opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,262 Posts
Personally, it wrecks my head having the subs in the bar area. I'd rather have it in the image everytime. Ooooooooh, controversy!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,500 Posts
This is one of Blu-ray's disappointments to me. This is supposed to be the next generation format, yet we're still stuck with standardized subtitles.


There's no reason that viewers shouldn't have control of both subtitle font size and placement. The needs of someone watching a movie on a 42" screen vary from one watching on a 120" screen, yet they're both stuck with the same subtitle presentation.


It's sad that they're not taking advantage of the format the way they could on most (if not all) titles.


Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,427 Posts
Are we talking about subtitles that were part of the theatrical presentation of a film (eg, foreign languages being translated within an English-language film), or about encoded titles (eg, English subtitles for a foreign-language film)?


IMO, the former should be left alone while the latter should be user-controllable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/15459932


This is one of Blu-ray's disappointments to me. This is supposed to be the next generation format, yet we're still stuck with standardized subtitles.


There's no reason that viewers shouldn't have control of both subtitle font size and placement. The needs of someone watching a movie on a 42" screen vary from one watching on a 120" screen, yet they're both stuck with the same subtitle presentation.


It's sad that they're not taking advantage of the format the way they could on most (if not all) titles.


Scott

Blu-ray is a step backward from DVDs in this regard. There are DVD players, (e.g. Samsung EzyView and Theater Tek sw player) capable of repositioning subtitles. However, so-called protected video path of blu-ray does not allow the manufactures to interfere with the video path and reposition raster-image based subtitles (unless BDA/Sony develops certified code to achieve this). The movable ascii based subs do not work consistently on all blu-ray players (probably due to some screw-up in the BD-J subtitle specs). Therefore Studios do not use ascii based subs.


It is really a shame on the developers of blu-ray specs that this trivial issue of subtitle repositioning ended up like this.


This impacts millions of zoomers/blackbar-haters in non-English-speaking countries and I do not understand the reasons that BDA/Sony and Studios do not solve this major issue.


Passive movie watching is a proven business for decades. The major focus of the Studios should be to provide best movie watching experience to everybody and shift people to watch more movies rather than them reading magazines or watch sports. It appears that they have lost the focus on the main game and concentrating on trivial aspects such as BD-Live!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSHA222 /forum/post/15460465


Go to the link below my signature. It is far from definitive but with everyone's help, it will grow

Top man, i hope the list grows



SUBTITLES IN PICTURE


Death Race BD

Fearless HD-DVD

The Incredible Hulk (2008) BD

Iron Man BD

Kill Bill Vol 1 BD

Kill Bill Vol 2 BD

Mummy 3: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor BD

Rambo (2008) BD

Star Wars: A New Hope DVD

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi DVD

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace DVD

Transformers BD

U-571 BD


SUBTITLES NOT IN PICTURE


30 Days Of Night BD

CJ7 BD

Curse of the Golden Flower BD

Day Watch BD

Hancock BD - The subs are absolutely not important. It is a very short scene at the beginning.

The Hidden Fortress Criterion Collection DVD

House of Flying Daggers BD

Kung Fu Hustle BD

La Femme Nikita BD

Letters from Iwo Jima BD

Flash Point (HK import) BD

OSS 117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (French import) BD

The Professionals BD

Youth Without Youth BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Pretty much any foreign film from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment puts the subtitles in the bottom letterbox bar of the 2.40:1 frame (Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Kung Fu Hustle, 2046). I use mattes to cover the black bars and the practice of putting subtitles below the picture area pisses me off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
I still have 2 Samsung upconverting SD players that have the 'EZ View' feature as part of my scope setup for watching foreign language films. There are several foreign BD's that I've held back on purchasing because of the subtitle issue: 'Black Box', 'La Femme Nikita' (not interested in the english dubbed audio track), and 'Shinobi', to name a few. Thank God that 'The Orphanage' is the rare BD title that does have the entire subs within the image area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kram Sacul /forum/post/15490859


Anybody else prefer white subtitles as opposed to yellow?

Yes. I'm watching The Last Exile on DVD at the moment, and the yellow subs are like a moth to a flame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xizer /forum/post/15493537


Subtitles in the black borders are awesome.


Otherwise useless frames now having a use? Yes please!

Wish to find out whether you are watching long foreign movies with subtitles.


When watching blackbar subtitles for a moderate length of time, it becomes tiring and difficult to concentrate on the movie and start reading subtitles rather than watching the movie. When the subs are within the frame it is seamless and could read subtitles without moving eyes outside the picture frame and subtitles become an integral part of the movie/picture. If subtitles are read only for short durations it is hard to understand this problem.


Blackbar-subtitles is a nightmare of the blackbar haters because subtitles appears on the black void which shouldn't be there as it is not part of the movie. Unfortunately Sony and WB do not understand this.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
34,841 Posts
IIRC, wasn't BD originally advertised as supporting movable subtitles?

A Java feature?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncguy /forum/post/15460326


However, so-called protected video path of blu-ray does not allow the manufactures to interfere with the video path and reposition raster-image based subtitles (unless BDA/Sony develops certified code to achieve this).

The simple solution to this is two subtitle tracks, one positioned in-frame and one in-letterbox-area, selectable from the menu. This really should be standard on all BDs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectator /forum/post/15498116


The simple solution to this is two subtitle tracks, one positioned in-frame and one in-letterbox-area, selectable from the menu. This really should be standard on all BDs.

At least, all BDs with aspect ratios wider than 16:9.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncguy /forum/post/15493802


Wish to find out whether you are watching long foreign movies with subtitles.


When watching blackbar subtitles for a moderate length of time, it becomes tiring and difficult to concentrate on the movie and start reading subtitles rather than watching the movie. When the subs are within the frame it is seamless and could read subtitles without moving eyes outside the picture frame and subtitles become an integral part of the movie/picture. If subtitles are read only for short durations it is hard to understand this problem.


Blackbar-subtitles is a nightmare of the blackbar haters because subtitles appears on the black void which shouldn't be there as it is not part of the movie. Unfortunately Sony and WB do not understand this.

Wow how do you ever watch 1.78 AR movies that fill up the whole screen if you can't focus on black bar area and the picture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 /forum/post/15502928


That's what I thought, too.


Resizable, positionable, color-selectable, font-selectable subtitles: A film-watcher's dream come true.


Maybe in the next video format.


Scott

We already have it... it's called .mkv...
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top