AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a friend's house to demo his Panasonic PT-AE100. His setup consisted basically of a Toshiba SD210E connected to the projector via component cables.

I liked the colour reproduction a lot, but when I asked my friend to turn on the subtitles, they looked very fuzzy and hard to read. The projector was slightly defocused. We focused it and then the letters became very blocky, as they did on my old ZX Spectrum computer.

We adjusted the zoom so that the picture was a little smaller, and the problem diminished somewhat, but was still unacceptable.

This point is very important to me, as about I watch most of my movies with subtitles. Maybe I should look for more resolution to get smoother type on subtitles.

Regards.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Let's say this one more time, all together now 1... 2... 3... "If you're not watching through VGA you're not seeing the light of day!"

·
Registered
184 Posts
I run an interlaced DVD player via an iSCAN to the VGA input of the AE100. On the few movies I've watched with subtitles (Ju Dou, Crouching Tiger, Eat Drink Man Woman) the subtitles have been no problem.

·
Registered
726 Posts
If you get a higher res projector, the subs *might* look smoother, but it's not guaranteed.

Like others, I think it's a good idea to feed it with a progressive scan input. If you can try DVD playback through a computer, and set up Powerstrip with timings given in other AE100 threads, you might get much better results.

As for subtitles themselves, on the vertical axis it should be pixel-for-pixel. Scalers might make this look better on higher res projectors, but the source resolution is limited as it is.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
If you want crisp subtitles then use an iScan, transcoder or an HTPC.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all. FWIW, my friend claimed he had tried the VGA input and noticed virtually no difference in PQ. (But that's another story...)

Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.