AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally going to upgrade my old Velodyne 10inch sub from the mid 90s, and to tell you the truth I'm stressing about which sub to choose after a ton of research.

I'm looking to spend anywhere from 500-800,

80%HT/20% music.

Room is maybe 15 x 20 x 15ish (vaulted ceiling) that opens into a kitchen.

Subwoofer size isn't really an issue, and black is what color I want.

So I've narrowed my list to the following.......

From least expensive to most with shipping for me(as of right now)

HSU VTF-2 MK3 $550~

ED a3-300 $600

SVS pb12-nsd ~$660

HSU vtf3 mk3 ~$730

ED a5-350 $800

I did have a couple outlaw subs on there when they were doing their free shipping, but since that's no longer available I took off the lfm1 ex and plus in an attempt to narrow down my list at least a little.

Does anybody have any comments, I'd really like to go the least expensive that will do that job, best bang for my buck if you will. But I do wonder if the least expensive one on my list, the vtf2 mk3, is going to produce enough for me so that I won't regret it later, I'm sure it will be a huge upgrade from what I currently have, or should I just say screw it and get the vtf3mk3 or the a5-350. 800 shipped is my absolute limit, so I'm not really interested in the new epik because it blows my budget, and I don't want the headaches with the mfw-15 so those two are out.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
I would rule out the A3-300 and VTF2, because if you can afford the extra SPL from the bigger subs, you should go for it. That room will be able to use the extra power. Although I think the VTF3 and PB12 should be able to handle your room, the A5 may be your best bet, I am guessing it will have the most output.

But what will matter more than which sub you get will be its placement! None of these subs will be enough if they are poorly placed, so make an effort to find the best place for them. Hsu, SVS, and ED are all willing to help you determine the best spot for your subwoofer, so use their knowledge and experience! Whichever sub you choose, send the company a description of your room dimensions and layout, and ask them for advice on the best location. Hsu also has a forum for this on their website. This will be crucial for you in order to get some good bass.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies that's the way I was leaning anyways. I'm sure once I buy a sub it will have to last me a long time, so it's better to go ahead and make the extra investment. Funny my budget started out about 350 and just kept growing the more I researched.

I think I'll call ED and see what their lead time is on the a5-350, if it's going to be a long time I'll probably go with the vtf3.

·
Registered
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippery44 /forum/post/18181733

Thanks for the replies that's the way I was leaning anyways. I'm sure once I buy a sub it will have to last me a long time, so it's better to go ahead and make the extra investment. Funny my budget started out about 350 and just kept growing the more I researched.

I think I'll call ED and see what their lead time is on the a5-350, if it's going to be a long time I'll probably go with the vtf3.

I've called them twice in the last couple of weeks about the a5-350, both times they said they are about a week and a half out.. not too bad

1 - 5 of 5 Posts