AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, and thanks in advance for the advice!

My current HT is a mixed use space, rather large, and lacking punch. First, the room. Carpet over concrete basement, with painted wood paneling instead of sheetrock. Dimensions are 13' x 31' with the TV and fronts on the 13' wall closest to the entrance, and the surrounds mounted on the side walls about 15' back, just behind the couch and to the sides. Towards the back of the room, which is used for my drums, a craft table for wife and kids, there is a cased opening into my office and computer space space that is about 13' x 10' more. The ceilings are 8' so all in all I have just under 4400 cu. ft. of volume in the space.

I have a Denon X4400 running 5.1 With AV123 Rocket 750 Fronts, the Bigfoot Center, and then I have 2 B&W satellites pulling surround duty. My current sub is a 10" UFW from AV123 as well, which is a 10" Sealed sub. I am planning on keeping the speakers, but I plan on adding some height channels. I am also planning on changing out my older 50" Plasma screen with a 120" - 135" screen, and Projector. My plan is also to flip the room, so when you walk in there is the drums, and craft area, and towards the back of the room would be the HT. This is important because it will now be adjacent to the cased opening of my office. I would be willing to frame out and install a door there, dropping my space to about 3300 cu. ft.

The budget - $800 - $1600. I would prefer to stay on the lower half of that, but if there is a huge value proposition on the higher side, I would consider it.

Usage 50 Movies - 25 gaming - 25 Music

I am handy, so DIY is not off the table.

Thoughts on my new Subwoofer(s)?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hello all, and thanks in advance for the advice!

My current HT is a mixed use space, rather large, and lacking punch. First, the room. Carpet over concrete basement, with painted wood paneling instead of sheetrock. Dimensions are 13' x 31' with the TV and fronts on the 13' wall closest to the entrance, and the surrounds mounted on the side walls about 15' back, just behind the couch and to the sides. Towards the back of the room, which is used for my drums, a craft table for wife and kids, there is a cased opening into my office and computer space space that is about 13' x 10' more. The ceilings are 8' so all in all I have just under 4400 cu. ft. of volume in the space.

I have a Denon X4400 running 5.1 With AV123 Rocket 750 Fronts, the Bigfoot Center, and then I have 2 B&W satellites pulling surround duty. My current sub is a 10" UFW from AV123 as well, which is a 10" Sealed sub. I am planning on keeping the speakers, but I plan on adding some height channels. I am also planning on changing out my older 50" Plasma screen with a 120" - 135" screen, and Projector. My plan is also to flip the room, so when you walk in there is the drums, and craft area, and towards the back of the room would be the HT. This is important because it will now be adjacent to the cased opening of my office. I would be willing to frame out and install a door there, dropping my space to about 3300 cu. ft.

The budget - $800 - $1600. I would prefer to stay on the lower half of that, but if there is a huge value proposition on the higher side, I would consider it.

Thoughts on my new Subwoofer(s)?

Rythmik Audio will begin selling their 18" servo subwoofer drivers and amps in kit form within the next few weeks. Price with shipping will be under $1000. I am purchasing two of the sealed kits. You can buy a flat pack 4.0 cu.ft sealed box from Parts Express, or make your own. You can also build your own version of the FV18 ported sub with their kit. Since you are able to go DIY, these kits seem to me to be your best choice for bang for the buck. They are for me!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
With that budget and room size I would look at a pair of HSU entry-level 15" ported subs.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk5HPDual.html

Or get a better ported 15 or 18 ported sub from Rythmik and maybe add a second later:

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV15HP.html

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV18.html

Also, Mark Seaton might have some MFW15 Turbo units left, which are the best deal in ID 15" ported subs going if they are still available.

https://www.seaton-sound-forum.com/post/mfw15-turboss-complete-units-new-old-stock-cabinets-7812317

You can also do well with DIY, but there are better folks than me to give you advice on that.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
That’s a big room! I have a big open space I’ve been upgrading for the last two years. My space estimate is around 3300 ft.² as well and open to the kitchen, dining room, and two hallways. It’s been a challenge! Honestly, I think the “least” you need is dual Hsu VTF-2 MK5. That would be around $1214 shipped I think. For $1,500 you could go dual SVS PB-2000. But, I think you need dual 15”s so for $1741 you could go dual VTF-3 MK5. It’s a decision you’ll have to make. But in my opinion those could be the best three choices ranging from $1,200-$1,700. A lot of peeps may say get the one biggest sub you can. To me, in my opinion, you have a big space and with one sub will you definitely have localization issues and you won’t have even or “balanced” bass in the room. Putting that one sub in the front looks nice and is easier for most and it does pretty much eliminate localization. But more often than not, in the front is not the best place for a sub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a big room! I have a big open space I’ve been upgrading for the last two years. My space estimate is around 3300 ft.² as well and open to the kitchen, dining room, and two hallways. It’s been a challenge! Honestly, I think the “least” you need is dual Hsu VTF-2 MK5. That would be around $1214 shipped I think. For $1,500 you could go dual SVS PB-2000. But, I think you need dual 15”s so for $1741 you could go dual VTF-3 MK5. It’s a decision you’ll have to make. But in my opinion those could be the best three choices ranging from $1,200-$1,700. A lot of peeps may say get the one biggest sub you can. To me, in my opinion, you have a big space and with one sub will you definitely have localization issues and you won’t have even or “balanced” bass in the room. Putting that one sub in the front looks nice and is easier for most and it does pretty much eliminate localization. But more often than not, in the front is not the best place for a sub.

We should have won that game against Philly...Why does it seem the team that knocks us out of the playoffs always goes on to win the Super Bowl? Are you located in Atlanta? Id love to hear that HSU in your sig... ;-p

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
We should have won that game against Philly...Why does it seem the team that knocks us out of the playoffs always goes on to win the Super Bowl? Are you located in Atlanta? Id love to hear that HSU in your sig... ;-p

Atlanta? Oh cool. Yes, the Falcons should’ve won but they played like crap and Sark sucked all year as a play caller! The Eagles D was good but not that good.

I am 45 mins to an hour (depending on what part) west of Atlanta.. 20-25 minutes from Six Flags.

I tried a single RSL Speedwoofer, a single PB-2000, then dual PB-1000, a single VTF3.5, and then dual VTF3.5. I wished I could’ve tried dual PB-2000 as I really liked it. But, I thought for a little more money just go on up to dual 15’s and be done. I sold one of the VTF3.5 subs when I got the BP8080 towers (built-in 12” subs). Having the two 12” subs in the front, the 15” sub to the right in the corner, and a 10” PB-1000 behind the sofa gives me a nice blend with balanced bass in the room and a little couch vibration!

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,793 Posts

Based upon your circumstances strong consideration should be given to DIY, especially if you're handy with tools. It opens up a lot of possibilities, something that is likely to prove valuable when you're dealing with carpet over concrete. That's really difficult for a subwoofer to overcome.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based upon your circumstances strong consideration should be given to DIY, especially if you're handy with tools. It opens up a lot of possibilities, something that is likely to prove valuable when you're dealing with carpet over concrete. That's really difficult for a subwoofer to overcome.
Hey Jim!

I actually think I have settled on DIY for sure. About to pull the trigger on 2 x 4 cu.ft. sealed flatpack sub kits with 2 x Dayton UM18-22 18" Subs. I started a thread in DIY. :)

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,962 Posts
Something to chew on. Good Subs are expensive. And Oh So worth it!

You can go the slow and less expensive route. Upgrading a little bit with each evolution. This method seems like the least expensive route. But in the long run you spend more.

Subs are the anchor or foundation of your sound system. Without good Subs your system will always be lackiing that deep punch we all seem to seek. It is not unreasonable to spend as much for two Subs as you did for the rest of your system. With that said, I just wanted you to consider what your end goal is? A suggestion is to ask for what subs do you need to adequately achieve "Reference" level SPL (Sound Levels) for your intended space. Once you get this input, you can then have an idea of what it might cost to get to your end goals direclty. Cutting out the upgrade incrementtion process and savng money in the long run.

I suggest you take a step backwards and attempt to discover from a design perspetive, what subs could potnetially achieve "reference" play back. Then you will have the full picture, and know if and when you are making cost related comprimises or not.

I made this mistake myself. I bought my first sub a Klipsch. It was nice, but far inferior for my sapce. Upgraded that to some SVS PB12's. Again, not enough. Upgraded again to a SVS PB13. Not enough again, added a second PB-13. Still not there yet. Finally settled on Dual JTR 2400ULF's. Sweet spot hit. upgradeitus completly cured. Wish I had gone straight to the JTR's in the first place. Would have saved me hundres if not thousands of dollars. I used JTR as an example, not necessailry as a recommendation. There are many ID Sub Manufacturers out there making amazing subs that may work perfectly for you. But the first step is determining how much SPL you will need for your Listning Space/Room/Area.

I wish you the best of luck in your search for Good Bass. There is truly nothing quite like it. Transformative!:D

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
@cjsparky Really weigh your options.. Are you sure you want to build/design your own subs? SVS, Hsu, Rythmik to name a few have great subs and I know Hsu and SVS have great customer service! ..not to mention warranty! These subs are designed for sound and home theater with the right components & DSP.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i’d probably look at the JTR 118, Rythmik FV 18 and PSA V1800 myself
The 18" Dayton UM's got delayed till May. I was going to go DIY for 2 x 18" Sealed subs for my HT.

I am toying with the idea of cancelling my order, and increasing my budget for the FV 18. DECISIONS!!!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The 18" Dayton UM's got delayed till May. I was going to go DIY for 2 x 18" Sealed subs for my HT.

I am toying with the idea of cancelling my order, and increasing my budget for the FV 18. DECISIONS!!!
I know Rythmik has the 18" DYI kits in now. At least they did as of two weeks ago. They could be sold out already but I would check with them if you're still inclined to go that way. They are not listed on the website but Enrico quoted pricing on their owners forum recently.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know Rythmik has the 18" DYI kits in now. At least they did as of two weeks ago. They could be sold out already but I would check with them if you're still inclined to go that way. They are not listed on the website but Enrico quoted pricing on their owners forum recently.
Interesting you saw that. I actually spoke to Enrico on the phone yesterday, and he recommended a FV18. I am really just trying to decide do I cancel my Dayton order, and get the Rythmik shipped, or do I just wait a few more months. I really think a single Rythmik FV18 would be fantastic.

What do I gain by waiting for 2 of the Dayton UM 18" kits that the FV won't deliver?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Decided on going with a FV18 by Rythmic.

Cant wait to replace my 10" Sealed sub!!!
Congrats on a good choice. Should be quite the upgrade.:eek:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Interesting you saw that. I actually spoke to Enrico on the phone yesterday, and he recommended a FV18. I am really just trying to decide do I cancel my Dayton order, and get the Rythmik shipped, or do I just wait a few more months. I really think a single Rythmik FV18 would be fantastic.

What do I gain by waiting for 2 of the Dayton UM 18" kits that the FV won't deliver?
Better seat-to-seat bass consistency with dual subs. It helps smooth out the peaks and dips due to the room modes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts