AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, new to this forum

I just upgraded my HT/music speakers to include a pair Klipsch RF-62 and RC-62ll and looking to better my subwoofer situation (had an Infinity BU-2 connected), I connected my KRK 10s. I have done a ton of searches and found no info on whether it's a good choice for HT and from the articles I have read, it's not even a considertation.

The KRK 10s is fantastic paired with the Rokit 6s and Traktor mixer but just wondering if anyone has any input on it for home theater use.

Thanks

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
KRK10s are subs you own? The brand/model of speakers don't have a lot to do with sub choice.

How big is your room (and areas open to that room)? What are your spl and extension goals (how loud do you need it to be able to play and what's the low frequency point you'd like the sub to be able to do at that level)? Do you require an even response over a large area or just at your listening position? What's your budget?

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Hi Everyone, new to this forum

I just upgraded my HT/music speakers to include a pair Klipsch RF-62 and RC-62ll and looking to better my subwoofer situation (had an Infinity BU-2 connected), I connected my KRK 10s. I have done a ton of searches and found no info on whether it's a good choice for HT and from the articles I have read, it's not even a considertation.

The KRK 10s is fantastic paired with the Rokit 6s and Traktor mixer but just wondering if anyone has any input on it for home theater use.

Thanks
The KRK's might be alright for music, but with a FR of only 34-150hz, they do not dig near deep enough to be a good sub for a HT application. Most good HT subs will play well down below 20hz. What is your budget for this new sub, and do you have any size restrictions? See the previous post for other questions...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KRK10s are subs you own? The brand/model of speakers don't have a lot to do with sub choice.

How big is your room (and areas open to that room)? What are your spl and extension goals (how loud do you need it to be able to play and what's the low frequency point you'd like the sub to be able to do at that level)? Do you require an even response over a large area or just at your listening position? What's your budget?
Hi whoa lots to think about thanks, yes I currently own the KRK 10s
1- room is approx 20'x20' with right side open to front entry
2- Using an analog SPL to 85db sub is calibrated to mains set at 75db at the 10:00 (-6db) gain position, set the gain at 12:00 (0db) pins the SPL, anything above that and it's plenty loud seating position is 14' away.
3- Iv'e read the KRK actually handles a requency responce of 30Hz well, not really sure if that's sufficent though or if it's ok.
4-KRK 10s Technical Specifications
•Configuration:Front loaded, vented subwoofer
•System type:Active Subwoofer
•Low-Frequency:10″ glass aramid composite woofer
•Frequency Response: 34Hz – 50Hz to 130Hz Variable
•Max Peak SPL:113 dB
•Amplifier Class:Class A-B
•Power Output:150 Watts Continuous @ 1% THD+N @ 100Hz
•SNR (signal to Noise Ratio):98dB
•Amplifier Distortion (THD+N): ≤ 0.1% @-3dB of Max Power Output 20Hz – 200Hz
•Input Impedance (Ohms):10 kΩ Balanced or unbalanced
•Ground Lift:On / Off
•Low Pass Frequency:50Hz to 130Hz
•HPF bypass:with footswitch only
•Footswitch:Optional
•Phase:0 or 180 degrees
•System Volume:-30dB to +6dB
•Indicators:power
•Input Connectors: •Stereo RCA for left and right, Stereo balanced TRS for left and right, stereo balanced XLR for left and right
•LFE input:N/A
•Output Connectors: •Stereo RCA for left and right, stereo balanced XLR for left and right
•AC Power Input: Selectable 110V-120V / 220V-240V
•Enclosure Construction: 15mm reinforced MDF
•Finish: black vinyl wrap
•Port Configuration: Front firing slot port
•Finish: black vinyl wrap
•Grille: Metal Mesh
•Dimensions (H x W x D): 15″ (382mm) x 14″ (355mm) x 16.06″ (408mm)
•Weight: 39 Lbs. (17.7Kg.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The KRK's might be alright for music, but with a FR of only 34-150hz, they do not dig near deep enough to be a good sub for a HT application. Most good HT subs will play well down below 20hz. What is your budget for this new sub, and do you have any size restrictions? See the previous post for other questions...
Ah ok now I understand, Great sub for mixing music not for HT, so my quest continues to replace the BU-2 Budget +/- $4-500

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any size constraints? What SPL level are you trying to hit? Commercial offering only, or can you DIY?
Size constraints, I have a wife so yes definitely WAF is in play, could be a bit bigger that the 10s, actually was just looking at the Acoustech PL-200, read some good things about it here and the FR is 22-200 Hz.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Check out the SVS PB-1000, pretty close the the size you're wanting, gets great reviews, and comes with a 45 day in home trial so if you (or your wife) doesn't like it you can ship it back free of charge. Also check out the subs by Rythmik and HSU.

The Acoustech can play pretty loud, but for the extra money the SVS/Rythmik will be a far superior sub.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi I have a chance on a Mirage bps-400 off craigslist locally for $300. It's specs is showing 400 watts with a FR of 18-100 Hz, what do you think?

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Hi I have a chance on a Mirage bps-400 off craigslist locally for $300. It's specs is showing 400 watts with a FR of 18-100 Hz, what do you think?
According to the unit's manual there is some ref to being able to do 18hz but then it has a spec of 50-100 +0 -3dB which seems odd. http://www.manualslib.com/manual/104223/Mirage-Bps-400.html?page=11#manual But a dual opposed pair of 12" drivers should be able to do better than that I'd think. Hard to know if it somewhat addressed by eq in its amp or not but I didn't see a bench test (didn't look terribly hard either). Also a very inert cabinet with that design. Might be worth it for $300, though.

·
Vendor
6,230 Posts
The bps-400 was a VERY good sub for its day and will still hold it own today. If it is in good condition I'd jump all over that.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

1 - 12 of 12 Posts