AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I mean, really behind a big chair.

My media room doubles as a family room. As such, my wife and I try to balance looks with function of my 5.1 Martin Logan Motion system. The latest subject of our decorating has become my sub (Dynamo 500), which for now is in the front, to one side of the TV console.

Anyway, we purchased some new furniture and ended up moving a chair we already had (see below) to one corner of the room. Because the chair angles to the back, we can comfortably fit the sub behind it it we want.

So my question is simple. Would this be disasterous for the sub quality? I know that the sub would sound different in the corner regardless but should I expect the chair to obstruct the sound as well. If we did this, I would have to run the cable through the attic and down the wall.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/20870634

Really? I'd heard from others it should be okay but this is very reassuring. Thanks.

Dude, just move it to behind the chair and see how it sounds compared to the other placement and go with whichever placement sounds best.

No one here can tell you what your room will do to your listening pleasure. But, as noted corner is actually the best place to start when seeking the best subwoofer placement.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20871384

Dude, just move it to behind the chair and see how it sounds compared to the other placement and go with whichever placement sounds best.

No one here can tell you what your room will do to your listening pleasure. But, as noted corner is actually the best place to start when seeking the best subwoofer placement.

Thanks. I'll have to buy a much longer cable to connect the sub but you are probably right. At least I have an idea that this could work before buying the cable.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
If you sit very near the sub, this linearizes the frequency response, resulting in a nice smooth response. As long as localization isn't a problematic deal breaker, it'll likely be a impactful, relatively visceral experience. Here's the rub, you'll need to normalize response for either yourself in the chair, or the remainder of the room. The proximity to the sub will make it seem much stronger to you, weaker everywhere else.

It could work, maybe. If it does work, and levels can be managed,...it should be a step up in performance. Apparent headroom and capability are increased, and response smoothing will be fantastic.

Good luck

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH
If you sit very near the sub, this linearizes the frequency response, resulting in a nice smooth response. As long as localization isn't a problematic deal breaker, it'll likely be a impactful, relatively visceral experience. Here's the rub, you'll need to normalize response for either yourself in the chair, or the remainder of the room. The proximity to the sub will make it seem much stronger to you, weaker everywhere else.

It could work, maybe. If it does work, and levels can be managed,...it should be a step up in performance. Apparent headroom and capability are increased, and response smoothing will be fantastic.

Good luck
Thanks. The chair will not be the main seating option when watching TV. So I will likely normalize with me elsewhere. I will give it a shot and let people know how it went.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 /forum/post/20872320

Is it behind your current main listening position? If so you might localize it with nothing else up front.

The chair is to the right and slightly behind the main seating position. It doesnt feel as though I can localize it but then again, it's always been in the front. I guess I'll have to get the cable (which I already ordered) and give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have my SVS PC13-Ultra behind a chair in the corner of my theater room. Not quite as big a chair as yours but a chair none the less. It was really the only perfect location in my room so I just went with it without doing any kind of sub crawl. I'm happy with the location and with the sound. I can somewhat localize it with certain frequencies when I am sitting in the chair--but not when in my primary location on the couch. The chair is really there for when I have a beer in my hand.

Here are some pics of my theater room: (although the chair I have there now has a slightly higher back.)

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gal...mber=spiritfox

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks spirit. Looks like you did a good nib with your set up. Assuming mine works, I shall post pictures as well.

And lfe, not exactly sure what you mean by phase settings. But I am thinking you are talking about some kind of timing thing? I think my sub has a switch of some kind in the back but could phase also be controlled within the receiver? I usually do the auto calibration thing but that's about the extent of my knowledge. A little help would be great.

Anyway, the cable arrivEd today so I'll know more soon.

Anyway,

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I moved the sub behind the chair and gave it a rough listen. And I mean rough. I didn't calibrate it all after moving it because my young kids were home (and would have made it impossible).

The results? In my main listening position it sounded fine. In the "chair", the bass was considerably stronger and localizeable.

When I looked at the back of the sub, I realized I could remember what the controls were, though I did notice the phase switch. I grabbed the manual to check this out and ran across some language that confused me a bit. Here it is:

low pass filter should be set equal to approximately 70% of your speaker's lowest frequency response.

Am I reading this correctly? The crossover should be set BELOW the lowest frequency of my other speakers? For now I have it at 80hz, given my fronts only go down to 70hz. But if I can set my crossover to 60 hz or so, perhaps it would be less localizable and sound better overall.

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I reading it correctly?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/20883351

So I moved the sub behind the chair and gave it a rough listen. And I mean rough. I didn't calibrate it all after moving it because my young kids were home (and would have made it impossible).

The results? In my main listening position it sounded fine. In the "chair", the bass was considerably stronger and localizeable.

When I looked at the back of the sub, I realized I could remember what the controls were, though I did notice the phase switch. I grabbed the manual to check this out and ran across some language that confused me a bit. Here it is:

low pass filter should be set equal to approximately 70% of your speaker's lowest frequency response.

Am I reading this correctly? The crossover should be set BELOW the lowest frequency of my other speakers? For now I have it at 80hz, given my fronts only go down to 70hz. But if I can set my crossover to 60 hz or so, perhaps it would be less localizable and sound better overall.

Does this make sense to anyone? Am I reading it correctly?

If you cant defeat the low pass on the sub set it to the highest crossover setting. That feature is for using speaker level inputs and probably is disabled anyways if your using the LFE input on the amp anyways.

If your speakers response is only rated to 70 I personally wouldnt go that low. Those settings are normally +or- 3db which means depending on how they measured the speakers that could be 6db down from where the sub integrates. Bottom line theyre probably ragged out to the ends of the frequency response normally better to crossover further inside the speakers rated response.

I also notice you have a hard floor, make sure the sub is properly isolated with some soft material so that the sub energy is not transferring to the floor.

If Its localizable with 80Hz setting your most likely localizing other sounds from the subwoofer other than the fundamental sound like floor vibration or other harmonics which are in the localizable region of human hearing. I have used subs nearfield before and could almost always notice they were close by.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopdog7 /forum/post/20884152

Thanks Nicks. I do have hardwood floors. I have seen platforms that they sell for decoupling. Anything else out there or any home solutions I could try?

Heavy duty foam might do the trick if its heavy enough not to compress too much... Try a shipping store some of their stuff might be heavy enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.