AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this may be an incredibly obvious question, but here goes anyway. (Feel free to tell me I'm a moron
)

I've read that it "doesn't matter" where a sub is placed but that in a corner is best.

Does it matter if my sub is (about 3 ft) behind my 52" TV? This placement, would of course, make the sub invisible (which is the point as far as my wife is concerned), but will also mean that it is completely blocked by the TV. How (if at all) will this affect sound? Would a satisfactory work around be to just compensate by turning the sub's volume higher relative to the other speakers?

I have an SVS cyclinder if that makes a difference. I'm afraid I may have to sell this one and go the box route if I can't find a way around the WAF.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
I believe a cylinder is a down firing sub...if it sounds good and the wife is happy let it rest. If it were a front firing sub I would find a different spot. Of course someone with more knowledge than me might have a better answer. I also heard some people with cylinders even lay them on their sides.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Putting the sub behind the tv is fine. That location may, or may not sound good, but not because there is a tv in front of it. I say go for it, if it lets you keep your sub.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
As far as sound is concerned, thee TV should not make a difference. My only question would be is this an RPTV or a LCD/Plasma/DLP? If LCD/Plasma/DLP you should be fine but if you are using an older set that is CRT based I wouldn't put the sub too close due to it not being magnetically shielded. For modern sets that's not an issue.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I like to adjust the volume of my sub based on what music/movie I am listening too. Could you place it on the side of a couch? or behind a couch?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts