AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally manged to acquire a subwoofer, but my receiver has no subwoofer output. (I've got L/R Front, L/R Rear, and L/R Center outputs) I've heard tell that I have the option of connecting the subwoofer either to the front L/R channels, or to the center channel.

The suboofer has only one RCA input jack.

Can anyone affirm the best way to connect this speaker, given this limitiation?

Many thanks,

dave.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
If the subwoofer is powered and the RCA input jack you refer to is a line-level input, you'd need to plug it into a line-level output from your receiver. From what you say, it appears your receiver has no line-level output, so you're sunk.

If you could possibly be more specific about your equipment, that would help in answering your question. What subwoofer? What are all its inputs and outputs? What receiver? What are all its inputs and outputs? Many current receivers have a line-level output specifically for connecting to a subwoofer. Does yours? If not, that may still be ok, if your subwoofer has connections for speaker wires. Does it?

·
Registered
836 Posts
You have few options depending on your equipment.

1) Your reciever only has speaker outputs

- If your subwoofer has speaker-level inputs, and outputs connect those (reciever to sub, sub to speakers)

- If your sub only has lin-level inputs (rca connectors) then you need a lin-level-converter (LOC). This converts speaker-level signal into line-level, and you can still have your speakers connected with it.

2) Your reciever has no sub out, only L/R outputs

- Using a Y-adapter connect the l/r outputs to the subs input.

It would be very helpful if we knew your equipment make/model

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was goofy to have posted without the models...

The receiver is a SONY STR-D790

the Subwoofer is a TSWM5.

I hope that helps.

dave

·
Registered
761 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JRace
2) Your reciever has no sub out, only L/R outputs

- Using a Y-adapter connect the l/r outputs to the subs input.
Wouldn't this interfere with the l/r feeds to the fronts?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Darren West
It has left AND right Center outputs? That's doubtful.

One of those is most likely the sub output...
Not necessarily. I have an old Sony STR-D1011s in storage in my basement. It is Prologic only and has outputs for 5 channels but not a sub.

Does this sub NOT have speaker leve inputs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.