AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the thinking phase of a possible HT redo. I'm pretty sure I'm going to DIY subwoofers of some sort. I use an acoustically transparent screen and have to elevate the 3 front speakers so they sit behind the screen at roughly ear level. I wonder if I can use the subwoofers to support the mains, maybe with some 3/4" plywood laying on top of them to give me sort of a shelf. I really don't have a good sense of how much vibration is transmitted through a subwoofer enclosure. I'm likely to use 18" drivers, so there's a lot of energy to deal with. Do ported or sealed subs differ in how much their enclosures vibrate? Right now I'm using an infinite baffle subwoofer, so I have nothing to experiment with. I can't make an IB work with the new configuration I'm considering.

Thanks for any comments. This is a very useful and informative forum.

·
Registered
4,948 Posts
post pics, layout, seating ,dims
and a budget
and are you familiar with REW,
plan on it
and start practicing now> it'll help give you a base line of how the room is messing with the speakers as of now
and then >how to make it all better
many have used subs as base for mains, etc. IF that's the best place for them . . .

·
Registered
158 Posts
Right now I’m doing some extensive testing with my system. And I’m by no means an expert so take what I say with a pinch of salt. But

I think sitting mains on top of subs is actually a good idea. Depending on your equipment you can set the subs up in stereo mode. It’s easier to integrate them in to the mains and time alignment them all together. Solves sub localisation issues as well.

If the cabinet is built correctly, vibrations should be to a minimum anyway. And at anything short of reference, vibrations are low anyway.

One thing I’m realising is i should have used 18” high sensitivity lowish Xmax drivers instead of my 15” high Xmax low sensitivity drivers.

As they are crap for anything above 100hz and that’s bad for kick drum and punch. But I suppose I’m learning. Slowly..

Also ported should have lower cabinet vibrations as you reach tuning frequency, as the driver won’t be moving much at all. the port will be doing most of the work. And if you are tuning low, then there should be no disadvantages I’m aware of compared to sealed. Unless your wanting to reach sub 15hz content.

This is only my opinion, and I’m sure more knowledgable people will be along to help more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm in the thinking phase of a possible HT redo. I'm pretty sure I'm going to DIY subwoofers of some sort. I use an acoustically transparent screen and have to elevate the 3 front speakers so they sit behind the screen at roughly ear level. I wonder if I can use the subwoofers to support the mains, maybe with some 3/4" plywood laying on top of them to give me sort of a shelf. I really don't have a good sense of how much vibration is transmitted through a subwoofer enclosure. I'm likely to use 18" drivers, so there's a lot of energy to deal with. Do ported or sealed subs differ in how much their enclosures vibrate? Right now I'm using an infinite baffle subwoofer, so I have nothing to experiment with. I can't make an IB work with the new configuration I'm considering.

Thanks for any comments. This is a very useful and informative forum.
I use a DIY subwoofer as a stand for my Center Speaker. The sealed enclosure is solid and I use Herbie's Fat Dots under both the sub and the Center Speaker. Granted my subwoofer driver is only 13", technically 12.6, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the 18" enclosures I've built as speaker stands if I needed to as I use more than adequate bracing.

Center_32W_Dynaudio_Contour_20_Stand_1000p.jpg Scan_Speak_32W_4878T_collage1.jpg

·
Registered
2,719 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can also use the kitchen drawer lining sheets, I've used that for many of these types of situations...

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can definitely set your speakers on some 18" DIY subs. That's how I have mine arranged.

The 893's I have sitting on the subs are quite heavy, but they would still walk during some spirited listening sessions when I was just using some simple foam pads under the speakers. So I bought some sorbothane pads from Amazon a couple years ago and they haven't moved an inch since.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Following with interest, as I am planning to use two VBSS as stands for my Fusion-8 mains.
I put my mains right directly on my 2 VBSS with no issues even up loud. Of course a VBSS is no lightweight. Should have weighed one but they've got to be at least 80 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts