AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've search the threads, I've haven't found any that mentions which one is better than the other.

I'm tying to find out which cable would be better in general - going with a subwoofer cable or a coax audio cable? My sub is 8ft away from my receiver.

Please explain why.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n /forum/post/19572920

I've search the threads, I've haven't found any that mentions which one is better than the other.

I'm tying to find out which cable would be better in general - going with a subwoofer cable or a coax audio cable? My sub is 8ft away from my receiver.

Please explain why.

Thanks in advance.

Pretty much the same thing. Subwoofer cables, stereo interconnect cables, video interconnect cables are all some form of coax. I use regular stereo interconnect cables. Some use home made coax cables (RG6 or RG59). Some use cheap cables and some use expensive cables. In most situations, I would dare you to tell the difference. Very noisy environments should have high quality shielding, but cheap cables are usually fine. More important is the quality of the connectors and how well the wire is terminated in them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/19572998

Pretty much the same thing. Subwoofer cables, stereo interconnect cables, video interconnect cables are all some form of coax. I use regular stereo interconnect cables. Some use home made coax cables (RG6 or RG59). Some use cheap cables and some use expensive cables. In most situations, I would dare you to tell the difference. Very noisy environments should have high quality shielding, but cheap cables are usually fine. More important is the quality of the connectors and how well the wire is terminated in them.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Would it be safe to say a well shielded RG6 or RG59 is comparable to a $100 Monster THX subwoofer cable?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:

This is why I love this forum!!

Quote:

Would it be safe to say a well shielded RG6 or RG59 is comparable to a $100 Monster THX subwoofer cable?

Buy a 10ft RG6 Cable from monoprice. It will cost you aprox. $7 Shipped, so you save the other $93 for a gift for your wife or yourself.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I used pretty decent quality component cables for my xpa3. They work great

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0n /forum/post/19573041

No. But in a an audio application the coax works as well. High level Monster cables have a lot of exotic elements in them, but these are better suited for video or amplified signals. The sub signal is low level/low frequency so it doesn't generate noise. Remember, the shielding and dielectric properties of coax cables was designed to contain RFI from the signal it carries in high frequency applications. All you are trying to do is shield from external EMF sources. RFI shouldn't be an issue due to its high frequency, but I don't know if a sub's amp may be able to process the 30th harmonic of a 3.7GHz signal.

To use the typical car analogy, buying high priced sub cables is like buying a Ferrari and never going over 65 MPH. You've got all this horsepower but never use it.

In short, get a simple sub cable from Monoprice, Radio Shack, or Best Buy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC
Any audio or video cable can be used correct? Thanks.
That would work. I bought one that had the similar description that was also coax.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts