AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was not given a subwoofer w/ my JBL speaker system.

I have read on here that you can use virtually anything for it. What i'm currently using is an RCA video cable.

It appears that I'm getting *some* sound, but not very much. Perhaps I am using an incorrect cable as my subwoofer cable. Any help would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm using an RCA video cable as a coaxial digital audio cable. Is this correct?

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Subwoofer cables usually aren't provided, just like speaker cables aren't provided either in most cases.

If you're not hearing anything, the probable cause is there isn't enough data being sent to your subwoofer from your source media. Make sure your receiver has speakers set to small. All speakers including your front left and right speakers. And that the receiver has the subwoofer turned ON on its configuration.

Also, I recently tried an RCA video cable for my center channel interconnect between my receiver and amp. For some reason, it sounded quieter. I swapped in an RCA audio cable and things went back to normal. Perhaps you should try an RCA audio cable for your subwoofer cable and see what happens.

You will also need to independently calibrate your subwoofer. It most likely has a volume dial on the back. That needs to be set to the correct volume. A test disc like Avia and a Radio Shack SPL meter are good tools for this.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
you can use a 75ohm video cable as both a subwoofer cable and coax digital cable, since all 3 are normally 75ohm video cables anyway. so yes, what you're doing is fine, as long as the cables you're using are 75ohm and good quality...

as far as only getting some sound, there could be a few reasons for that. check the level on the back of the subwoofer, and make sure it's set at least half-way, just to make sure the subwoofer is playing. then, adjust it according to how you like it...

also, that subwoofer may have a left and right line level input, opposed to having one line level input. if it does, go to Radio Shack and spend $3.99 on a Y-Cable. run the cable going from your receiver to the single female end of the Y-Cable, then plug the 2 male ends into the left and right line level inputs on the back of the subwoofer, it should play a bit louder now. it will give you an extra 3dB out of the subwoofer, in addition to making the auto-on feature of the subwoofer work properly, if it has an auto-on feature like most subwoofers do...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure if the video cables are 75ohm or not.

Furthermore, I thought my sub had a one line level input.

I will get pics of both and see if you guys can help me out here. =]

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
i'm sure it is...

if your subwoofer has 1 line level input, you don't need the Y-Cable. if it does, it's not necessary, but i would still recommend using one anyway. to give you an exampleof how hard it is to get 3 decibles out of a subwoofer, you will gain LESS than 3 decibles by upgrading to a 12" subwoofer from a 10" subwoofer, so i would say it's worth spending a few dollars on the cable if you have the chance to use it...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Don't be stingy and go buy some decent subwoofer cable. They are very long, properly shielded and some even have Y connector at the end to help you connect to subs with two RCA inputs. Monster Cable is recommended or better.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
If you don't want to pay Monster prices, some of the Audioquest G and X series Sub Cables actually cost less. The Acoustic Research Pro II and Master Series are pretty well made cables too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.