Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, newbie question here.

As I stated in a previous post, I just purchased the Sony STR-DE485 and a speaker set with a powered Subwoofer. When I added it to my cart, it said that one of the "requird accessories" was a Monster Cable Subwoofer Cable for a whopping $40. Considering my out-of-pocket expense for the receiver and speakers is $30, I didn't want to spend that much for a cable.

My question is, do I need a special cable for the subwoofer? Or will any RCA jacked cable work? I actually have an extra Monster "video" cable (yellow RCA), so does that plug in? I know that the equipment doesn't care about cable color, but are the connectors the same? From the picture it looks like it will, but I want to be sure.

Also, if I *do* need a special subwoofer cable, where's a good place to pick one up (not online, as I'd like to hook this up today or tomorrow) and not pay $40 for the Monster version? I don't need something that costs over 10% of the retail price of the speakers/receiver :)

Thanks for the help!

Chris

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
If it is straight analog .1 channel output, any RCA to RCA cable will work. Should not need anything special. Your old video cable will work OK but is really designed for an entirely different set of frequencies than an audio cable.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
If it is straight analog .1 channel output, any RCA to RCA cable will work. Should not need anything special. Your old video cable will work OK but is really designed for an entirely different set of frequencies than an audio cable.
So would I be better off using an RCA audio (Red/White) cable instead of the RCA Video (Yellow)? I wasn't really aware that there was much difference, other than the color of the jack.

Any good online resources about this?

CW

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you use a plain old RCA to RCA cable and the run is fairly long or passes by potential interference, you may end up with a hum coming from the subwoofer. The Monster shielded subwoofer interconnect cable addresses that issue by wrapping a grounded shield wire mesh around the two core line level wires. The shield is only grounded to the outer ring at the reciever end so note which end of the cable you plug into which component.

Supposedly the grounded shielding reduces or prevents the core wire from picking up noise which becomes hum when the subwoofer amplifies it.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Go ahead and use the cheap cable for your sub...when I used to work for an audio/video store, we used to say to the consumer if you dont notice the difference then bring the Monster cable back. I wasnt a believer until I tried a "good" cable to my PS1000...Wow! What a difference! I was using a 15' ordinary RCA cable before and the output of the sub was significantly increased. Even my wife noticed and asked if I had gotten a different sub.:)

Of course your mileage may vary but in my case, the saying "you get what you pay for" held true in my situation.

·
Registered
404 Posts
acoustic research sells a sub cable thats only 20$ in my area 25 feet long directional-i also didnt want to spend the money but after i did i niticed the diff over a standard rca cable-also get a y adapter and hook up to bolth rca jacks on the sub (r-l) this made a huge difference and according to the subs manual it wasnt nessasary-get a long sub cable so you can move sub around easily-to find the sweet spot in your room-placment is everything

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
When you are using those cheap cables, it really doesn't matter much. That was my point. As stated earlier, if you are going to have a long run, get a decent cable with good shielding. You can have one custom made from GEPCO, BELDEN, or CANARE for very little and get a good cable with good shielding, low capacitance and good connectors.

The longer the length, the more difference in noise and sound degradation you will hear with the cheap cables. I am not saying you need to spend a ton in your system, just get something designed for the job and well executed.

If you want to take the easy way out, get the Monster. It IS worth the money. $40 is not really a lot for a cable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.