AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just upgraded my subwoofer to an Earthquake MKV-15. I would like to spend approximately $100 on a 4m subwoofer cable. I was looking at the Monster Cable ZBass100 audiophile cable or an Analysis-Plus Sub Oval. Anyone have experience with any of these cables? Any other recommendations for a 4m sub cable under $100.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricarte
I just upgraded my subwoofer to an Earthquake MKV-15. I would like to spend approximately $100 on a 4m subwoofer cable. I was looking at the Monster Cable ZBass100 audiophile cable or an Analysis-Plus Sub Oval. Anyone have experience with any of these cables? Any other recommendations for a 4m sub cable under $100.
BetterCables 5 m $42

Ram Audio Silver 12 ft $40

Ram Audio Canare/Belden 12 ft $18.95

Many cables (especially Monster) are sold at ridiculous markups. $100 for a 12' piece of wire is highway robbery.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricarte
:rolleyes:

Why would you want to spend that much on a cable? Any good quality shielded cable will work just fine. Most of my dealers used standard cable made by companys like Lightning Audio, Stinger and yes even Radio Shack for custom competition systems in a car where interference and abuse was a given and they still performed well. Save your money for something else.

Ian ;)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Blue Jeans Cable.

Cobalt Cable.

High quality at a cheap price!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding Radio Shack.

Stinger, however, are very high quality, without high $$$!

·
Registered
5,058 Posts
I second the Dayton cable from Parts Express. There is absolutly no need to spend more than $10-15 for a sub cable unless you need a very long run, in which case you should buy a spool of Coax and put an RCV termination at the end.

Of all the cable hype out there, subwoofer cable is the biggest fraud.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozakk
I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding Radio Shack.

Stinger, however, are very high quality, without high $$$!

Why, have you had a problem with RS ? I've used some of their interconnect Gold Series cable for years and hadn't had a problem yet.

Ian :confused:

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang
Why, have you had a problem with RS ? I've used some of their interconnect Gold Series cable for years and hadn't had a problem yet.

Ian :confused:
Everone I've used has gone bad.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I've had good & bad experience with RS. I had a couple of their "gold" f-connector cables that had their connectors just twist off in my hand the first time I used them. I have also had other cables that have worked fine for years.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Radio Shack sells a very nicely made, relatively heavy 4m cable for about $15.

The connectors look exactly like the tapered heavy type that Monster cable uses.

A $15 cable on a $600 sub is gonna smoke a $100 cable on a $500 sub.

If you're gonna get picky about the cables, purchase components that have balanced XLR connections.

The latest Paradigm subs have balanced XLR connections, and most decent amplifiers will also have them.
http://www.paradigm.com/Website/Site.../Servo_amp.jpg

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Well, I am not big on spending too much on cables. So ebay is my friend. My old dual subs had a small problem with auto-on, so I needed 2 Y wires too. I bought all Moster THX Cables, 1 Y wire, 2 16' ft cables and 2 more Y wires. Total was just under $70 but in the store, they are almost double that.

I know MC are not the best but they are still good.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I bought a 24 ft. length of CHEAP speaker wire with RCA connects so I could easily experiment with sub placement. Left it attached for good. Now my auto-on doesn't work. This replaced a 12 ft. RS gold series cable.

I'm gonna have to do the RG59/RG6 thing as I need to have more than 12 ft.

All my connects are RS gold, never had any probs.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
To you guys who've had luck w/RS Gold...good for you.

Everytime I've CAREFULLY unplugged, then plugged back in a RS Gold (rca & s-video connectors), they've died. It's not operator error either. I know how to use the connector as a pull point, not the cable itself.

I've had better luck with the cheap cables Wal-Mart sells.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Good point JeffD2. - there are important qualities to the cable - mostly related to the size of the wire and the shielding for the length of the run. If what you tried was 24 gauge (or smaller) speaker wire like is sometimes used with really cheap htib speakers - that probably won't get the job done as it is unshielded and probably too thin for a 24 ft run.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
I second the suggest for Bluejeans Cable - they make great stuff. Good base products coupled with good build and service. Can't go wrong.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Ricarte, don't listen to your dealer or salesman on this question. Believe it or not, he stands to make more on the cable than he did on the sub.

Salespeople are not to be trusted when it comes to cable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try 15' of Canare cable & connectors from Bluejeans Cable.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cables are snake oil folks, anybody tells you otherwise likes to burn money.

I'm using RG-6 broadcast grade coax and it works great. Connected to a 1800w sub :).

SC

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.